Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Phx, AZ Metro Area thru Four Corners

Glazed4az
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone

I am curious to know if there is anyone out there that has gone thru the four corners from the Phx Metro Area. We are taking a trip up thru there to Littleton CO. Wanting to know everyone's thoughts as to the best routes to take. We are planning on stopping at the Four Corners on their way up. Not sure if we want to go the i17 route thru Flagstaff or thru Payson.

Appreciate any and all input.

Thanks
Earle
11 REPLIES 11

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Glazed4az wrote:
Hello Everyone

I am curious to know if there is anyone out there that has gone thru the

four corners from the
Phx Metro Area. We are taking a trip up thru there

to Littleton CO. Wanting to know everyone's thoughts as to the

best routes to take. We are planning on

stopping at the Four Corners on their way up. Not sure if we want to go the i17 route thru Flagstaff or thru Payson.

Thanks
Earle

Here you GO - MAP - added a few stops but think it might just be more FUN,

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We have used I-17-US-89-US 160, US 60-US 191-US 491, and even the McElmo Creek Road (Montezuma County Road "G") to get to Cortez from the southwest. They are all lonely and somewhat desolate, but then it is the Southwest. The one route we haven't done is US 191 all the way to Chinle to see Canyon de Chelly.

Guess one question is: are you just driving straight to Four Corners/Mesa Verde or do you want to stop to see anything along the way? Once you get to the Four Corners, what route are you planning to take to Littleton and do you plan to see stop anywhere along the way?

If you are still unsure about Colorado routes, take a look at my new blog HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Roads & Routes forum from 5th Wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I went every way possible last year while my house was being built at Pueblo. My favorite for scenery (not speed) was 87 Beeline hiway to Payson, 260 to Overgard and N/E on 377??? to I-40. The res. hiways are really boring. Mesa Verde is about 11 miles east of Cortez on 160. 160 is a pain... 2 lane, all the towns and the slow local traffic. After I tried all the scenic routes, I then stuck with the interstates. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
we went through there about 5 years ago. like the other said, check out the fuel stops. take your time across the area. winds may blow and get a little dusty, but if you haven't done it, do it. You can always say been there done that. Mesa Verde just inside Co. will be a good visit too. we did the route hwy 160 north of flagstaff then east to 4 corners. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Lived in NM and drove it lots of times. Can be beautiful. Stop and buy something at Tuba or Kayenta. I delivered Butter to the Navajo School and feed, salt and mineral all over NM, Az, and Co. Don't run over sheep as they are worth thousands in Navajo Land. In 57 years I have never stopped at 4 Corners. Be safe.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Glazed4az wrote:
Hello Everyone

I am curious to know if there is anyone out there that has gone thru the four corners from the Phx Metro Area. We are taking a trip up thru there to Littleton CO. Wanting to know everyone's thoughts as to the best routes to take. We are planning on stopping at the Four Corners on their way up. Not sure if we want to go the i17 route thru Flagstaff or thru Payson.

Thanks
Earle

The Payson route has a lot less vertical ups and downs than the I-17 route, though you have to deal with the 2-lane roads on a lot of it. Just a fairly gradual climb, with only the Rim portion being really steep. Watch the roads, though, as they aren't in the best shape, especially across the Rez.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Joe_Way
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
...I like the 4 corners area (not the actual site, that's a waste of time!)

Well...ya gotta do it once. Take the goofy photos with limbs in all four states at once, marvel at the inaccuracy of old surveyors, attempt to tell the authentic souvenirs from the junk.

We just missed the closing time of 4:50pm (?) on the way up from Williams. After two days at Mesa Verde we went back to Four Corners and then up to Monument Valley, so were still able to catch it fairly conveniently.

Lots of people complain about the $3 per head entry fee--I figure after all that has happened to the Indians it's the least we can do.

Once is plenty, though. Wouldn't stop again even if I was going by at the right time.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I've gone this route many times. I like the 4 corners area (not the actual site, that's a waste of time!)
For me it is easier to take the Payson route from PHX to Flagstaff. My place in PHX is in the East Valley. Others may vary.
For some reason, I find Flagstaff a most annoying town. Traffic, confusing roads, etc. So I'm glad to get out of there. Fuel is then at Cameron, or Tuba City, and Kayenta, depending on where you go.

treeofliberty
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Phoenix, and have made that trip a few times. Plan your gas stops carefully, after you clear Flagstaff and head north. The gas opportunities between Flagstaff and Four Corners are sparse, so don't stretch too far. It's not horrible, but don't be surprised to go 50 miles without a stop. Its also pretty boring, from a terrain perspective, but get's better once you get into CO.

We've gone this route, on our way to the San Juan Mountains around Silverton. It is the shortest route, but the route over into Gallup, NM and up 491 is slightly more populated. Slightly.
Tim

2013 F-350 6.7L Diesel, Crew Cab, Shortbed, Andersen Ultimate 2
2017 Grand Design Reflection 29RS, 540 watts of solar, Magnum MS2812 inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2025 and SC-2030, weBoost 4G-M cell booster

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Went through four corners from Phoenix four years ago. We did go to Flagstaff and spent a week there to day trip the Grand Canyon. Flagstaff is a great place to spend a few days. Can't say exactly what route we took for the last bit, but I can tell you the roads on reservations are poor.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.