cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potable Water Transportation

bigrig26
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow Canadian RVers! Looking for some advice here.
We are going to be staying at a seasonal in Northern Sask this summer, the only issue is that it doesn't have water/sewer hook-ups. I do have a tote for taking the sewage when required, but looking for options for transporting potable water.

In a previous life I had a nice tank I had bought from Can-West out of BC which they shipped to me fairly reasonably on the Greyhound. I then had a pump from Princess Auto I used to pump it into my RV.

What do you folks use? I'm finding it hard to source a potable water tank now. There are some Amazon options but they look fairly cheap. Was thinking of going that route with a submersible pump even.

My RV holds about 272 L fresh so even if I did two trips to the tap with a 150 L tank wouldn't be so bad for a full fill when required. Looking forward to your advice and experiences. Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I found then at Canadian Tire- https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/reese-towpower-professional-series-trailer-wiring-7-way-blade-to-4-or-5-flat-adaptor-with-12v-0406843p.html
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Princess Auto. In their little Magazine I got yesterday I see some water bladders that they sell. I have 2 water bladders that I use when boondocking. Both are 50 gallons U.S. I pump from the bed of my truck into the 5er.I plug the pump into the 7 pin receptacle at the back of the truck. I bought the adapter at Princess Auto a few years back and I don't see them advertised on their website now.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
How far is the water source from the camp site?

We keep a 5 gal water jug which is a bit of a pain but works if it's within a few hundred yards.

If it's 50 miles, I would want several or a larger tank if we had the issue frequently.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of these works great

https://www.bayteccontainers.com/60galwaterbag.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp860GLAQUA2&sc_intid=860GLAQUA2&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmpyRBhC-ARIsABs2EApZYHj1CIg1H1bJ-_OrFMM8tVVxA3q8TXiQV3m1CMToRCGe615wM2waAvYnEALw_wcB

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
bcbouy wrote:
we used to camp in our truck camper.we used the onboard tank for shower,dishwashing,and used those refillable water cooler jugs with a pump mounted to the top.by the time we were out of water we were out of food/booze anyway.we could usually go for 6-8 days.

We got two 5 gal water jugs for drinking / cooking. We do the same as you, onboard water is for toilet, doing dishes, shower…etc…
When we were camped on BLM land near Yuma AZ, we also lasted about 7 to 8 days before the beer ran out, I mean before we had to dump and refill tanks….. :W
We still use the water jugs for drinking water for a lot of years.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 25 gal ATV sprayer with a tank and pump already attached. Did away with the spray wand and put a garden hose quick connect on the pump and a regular 7 way connector on the electric cord to plug into the truck. Some might not like it but it works for me.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
we used to camp in our truck camper.we used the onboard tank for shower,dishwashing,and used those refillable water cooler jugs with a pump mounted to the top.by the time we were out of water we were out of food/booze anyway.we could usually go for 6-8 days.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't done this but thought about it. A fresh water RV tank (new or from a old RV being sent to the wreckers) may fit into the back of a pick up truck if that's what you haul with. I have a spare RV water pump that we used to increase water pressure when in Mexico, you could plug it into your truck's trailer plug and pump the water from the truck tank via your water hose to the RV. Lot's of other plastic tank options out there as well.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 35 gal water storage tank from Amazon ( which I just looked, and they no longer carry) with a 12 volt RV water pump and a 12 volt battery pack. I also installed a small micron screen on the hose to the inlet side of the pump when filling the water tank. I use the same pump to fill our camper. I used 12 volt 2 pin plug on the end of the pump power cored, then I could either use a small car lighter plug or a small set of alligator clips to provide power with the same 2 pin plugs.
I didn’t plug the impeller in the pump with small bits of leaves, needles etc… after I installed the screen… :S

Picture below is just an example of what a 12 volt 2 pin plug looks like.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
How many meters to the tap? Maybe a hose reel is better?

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
We have a collapsible bladder and a pump. Kinda like a water bed mattress. It holds about 60 gallons and folds up to smaller than a briefcase. We use a regular 12v rv water pump, wired to a spare battery to transfer it to the rv tank.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
Have you looked at Norwesco (Edmonton), Marmit Plastics (Edmonton) or BARR Plastics (Abbotsford BC). All kinds of tank solutions.

Trevor