cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puerto Penasco questions for first timers

krazymatt
Explorer
Explorer
So im exploring the idea of a nice rv vacation down in PP, Mx. So how much is typical to insure a newer 2014 high end diesel truck and older 5er rv? How are the roads down there once you get into mx? What special permits are required? Is it safe? Is it hard navigating around town trying to get your rig into the rv parks once youre there? Im seeing rvpark prices around $30 and if fuel prices hold i could likely do a pretty cheap vacation. Any thoughts tips and info are greatly appreciated?
New Mexico
2018 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins 4x4
14 REPLIES 14

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
I have crossed the border many times without a passport. That does not make it a good idea to broadcast it as if it is the officially accepted procedure.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
hypoxia wrote:
I don't know where Mexruss gets his info but this is straight from the horses mouth.

Documents Required For Entry Into the USA

Russ gets his information from life experience and crossing the border with or without the "official" documents from time to time. If you want to "buy" a ticket from the government when it is not necessary to do so then by all means follow the gov website.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

Selkie
Explorer
Explorer
If you are still making truck payments, you need a letter from the lien holder saying it's OK to take the vehicle across the border. In my case, I called the finance company and they e-mailed the permission. Mainly they want to be listed as lien holder on the Mexican insurance policy.

tepetapan
Explorer
Explorer
hypoxia wrote:
I don't know where Mexruss gets his info but this is straight from the horses mouth.

Sometimes the horse's mouth is full of oats. The link was a government site that will push their agenda but facts are facts. If you are a US citizen and can prove it, by law they can not turn you away.
On the other hand, if you don't want to spend half a day sitting while they verify your citizenship, a passport would be a better idea.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
hypoxia wrote:

This is what the US Gov. is saying to push people to get passports or Passcards. Reality is different. They cannot refuse entry to the US to a US citizen. They can only delay you to verify your citizenship. We just returned from MX and one person in our party had only a drivers license (non-Real ID) and a birth certificate. No questions asked, no delay.

That said, a passport/card is certainly preferred and will avoid any hassles and delays.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

krazymatt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much Mexicouss!!!
New Mexico

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
On the insurance thing, check with your insurance company and see if they cover you 75 miles into Mexico, a lot of them do. Then you only have to buy the liability insurance for your rig. If your insurance company will not provide comprehensive insurance in Mexico then yes you can buy full coverage insurance from many providers, google Mexico Insurance and you will see a very long list of providers. Lewis and Lewis seems to be the favorite for the Rv community. You can also check with Adavis Insurance in Temecula CA they also have an online presence.

Rocky Point is a leisurely 62 miles from the port of entry at Lukeville/Sonoyta.

As a resident of Peñasco I have not heard of a truck jacking in the whole time I have been here....10 years

Passports are not necessary at this time to cross into Mexico, they only are recommended when crossing back into the USA.
Russ Black
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

krazymatt
Explorer
Explorer
How far is the drive from the border? So im assuming our passports are sufficient? Is full coverage mexico insurance available? Insurance wise im more concerned about my truck being jacked. Lol Thanks!
New Mexico

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
It's a super simple drive on a decent road from the border, and although there are some roads under construction in town, for the most part they are all in good shape some in great shape, we have been getting new boulevards over the last few years.
The Parkas are as stated above from furthest to town The Reef RV park (Gus Brown) the Playa Bonita RV Park (Alma and Erica) and Playa de Oro (Leo and Gary). Playa bonita is fairly full and somewhat difficult to navigate in a large rig, The Reef is fairly open and super easy to navigate, and Playa de Oro is starting to fill up but there is still space and is easy to navigate.

If you need it we have a Sams club, A mini Walmart (Bodega Aurrera) and our regular grocery stores are called Super Ley and Ley Express and Santa Fe , therer are a myriad of smaller places to buy groceries and almost anything else.

As stated earlier we are in what is called the "free zone" no special permits for your coach are required. If you are a stickler for rules you may want to get your temporary travel visa at the border but nobody will ask for it.
Russ Black
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We, too, have thought of going there. We read somewhere that you need a letter of permission from the lender if you are still paying on your rv or vehicle. Does anyone know if this is true.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Selkie
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention that Rocky Point is in the Free Zone-no special permits required. Look online at Google Maps for satellite photos of the route. If you head to the right at the FIRST traffic circle approaching Rocky Point, drive 1-2 miles (this is on the road to El Golfo), then make a left, heading west toward the high rise condos. This route will miss a lot of traffic and stops-an easy drive. When you get right up to the condos, make a right and you will come to a graded dirt road. Follow the signs to the Reef and Choya Bay.

Selkie
Explorer
Explorer
I was there in June and will return for Halloween. Check with your insurance company about coverage into Mexico. I have USAA and Progressive which covers collision and comprehensive up to 75 miles south of the border. Mexicans are concerned only with liability, so I got online and bought a liability only policy for Mexico-saving a lot of money. I have driven there several times alone with friends meeting me later. Highway is good and well marked. The only tricky part is crossing Mexico 2. Signs to Puerto Penasco are well marked, and you bear off to the right after crossing highway 2(watch out for trucks).Watch your speed going through town- about 20 mph, and keep a lookout for frequent stop signs. I prefer the Reef RV Park, where you have a good chance of a spot next to the beach. They have full hookups and good WiFi, along with 2 restaurants. Playa Bonita is good, but beach front sites are always booked. If you get chosen for random inspection at the border, just have your registration papers ready and accompany the inspector into your rig. A smile and graciousness is always appreciated. You will have a great time!

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
We've been there three times, last time quite a few years ago, before all the bad press. We are now thinking of going back with friends next year. My information might be old but here it is anyway. The road down, once you get about 5 miles south of the border, are very good two lane roads. The drive is not very long, plan on doing all your driving during the daylight hours, crossing the border early in the morning. For your own comfort I would try to hook up with others and form a caravan, just makes everyone feel better. We went down twice with tour groups and once with a group of 5 rigs. Going through towns there are speed bumps (big speed bumps) take them very slowly. I do not know what the current paperwork is, but you get insurance before you enter Mexico and you have to check out when you leave. The RV parks are/were nice, paved, easy to maneuver, but not up to USA resort standards. Still, very nice.
Bring dump extensions and an extension cord, the hookups were not always convenient. I'll be looking forward to seeing what others now post, as it is on my list of maybes for 2016.
Happy Trails.