Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Maybe 550 is not so bad, after all . . . "

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's brave, and then there's foolhardy:

Stuck for a week on the side of a cliff

This article almost reads like a parody of bad judgment, but it's for real. Thank goodness no one was hurt.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
10 REPLIES 10

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all of you that the driver made SEVERAL poor decisions. However, I would like to diverge from this train of discussion and say that Hwy 550, the Million Dollar Highway, has been and is a beautiful and rewarding drive both with my 35 foot fifth wheel and my truck camper as long as the weather is pleasant. It provides great scenery and gives one an appreciation for the hard work that the original gold prospectors had to endure. Enough said. Now back to the unfortunate motorhome incident.
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I once worked at a resort where they had a tow truck convention every year. Several towing companies would bring their heavy lifting rotator wreckers to demonstrate what they could do. They would have made short work of that problem. One company near Milwaukee brought one of their heavy units to the convention that was capable of lifting and moving 100 tones. They had a heavier one but it required bringing a semi along to carry counter-weights.
1) the toad is doing nothing to stabilize the RV so unload it and drive it away.
2) The rotator would lick up the dolly and pivot the rotator to set the dolly behind the tow truck and have it towed away.
3) The rotator could pick up the back of the RV and put it back on the road or carry the back of the RV while a driver steers the RV back a ways to a more stable area.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
No brain, no headache.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of the movie RV.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
On the bright side, he had a campsite with a spectacular view for a week.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I wish they showed the tow truck pulling him back on the road.

Kind of reminds me of this Class A that dug itself down to the frame in sand and had to be towed out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8lj641mO0M

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If he just got on the front bumper he could have rocked himself a bit to get some traction 😉

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Scary!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, get in your towed an explore the road before you....
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dedmiston
I saw that earlier today. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230