cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCMP seek witnesses - Liard Hot Springs death investigation

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
RCMP are looking for witnesses and dashcam footage as part of their investigation into a pair of suspicious deaths near Liard Hot Springs this week.

Two people were found dead on the Alaska Highway 20 kilometres south of the popular tourist destination on Monday, July 15. An older blue minivan with Alberta plates was found at the scene, according to police, who are looking to speak with anyone who may have seen the vehicle or tried to help.

Police are looking to speak with anyone who travelled the stretch of highway between Sunday, July 14 at 4 p.m. and Monday morning at 8 a.m. Police say they'd especially like to speak with anybody who has dashcam video of their travels through the area.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Northern Rockies RCMP at 250-774-2700 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

If you can help, please do!
See the article at https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7264271/Australian-man-dead-highway-Canada.html
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!
41 REPLIES 41

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
What I thought might happen.

Father of Canada highway murder suspect says son on 'suicide mission,' wants to die in 'blaze of glory'

https://www.foxnews.com/world/father-canada-highway-murder-suspect-says-son-on-suicide-mission-ex-classmates-claim-he-was-angry-kid
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:
I find it strange that the authors of the articles speak about the 2 suspects as having spent a good bit of time in the past 2.5 years doing survivalist activities in the bush. Then in the next paragraph comment that there is only one road going and coming in the area where the latest vehicle fire occurred.

Sue, you must know quite a few people who are capable of living off the land, especially in summer. Have you or do you know of police officers who can live off the land and might the next level of searching be in that method?

🙂
Searchers could be supported. I imagine they would have other options such as infrared heat detection from aircraft or drones. I believe that is how they captured Borque in N.B. It is just that in this case the uninhabited area is vast, particularly if they are not sure they are still there.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I find it strange that the authors of the articles speak about the 2 suspects as having spent a good bit of time in the past 2.5 years doing survivalist activities in the bush. Then in the next paragraph comment that there is only one road going and coming in the area where the latest vehicle fire occurred.

Sue, you must know quite a few people who are capable of living off the land, especially in summer. Have you or do you know of police officers who can live off the land and might the next level of searching be in that method?

🙂
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Sue for the update.

Lakeside

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
July 24 article from CBC regarding the status of the suspects in Manitoba now
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manhunt-homicide-suspects-bc-manitoba
Lucas Fowler, 23, an Australian, and Chynna Deese, 24, an American, were discovered gunned down along the side of the Alaska Highway south of Liard Hot Springs, B.C., on July 15.
Four days later, McLeod and Schmegelsky's burnt-out truck was discovered near the community of Dease Lake, more than 470 kilometres away from the first crime scene. The body of an unidentified man in his 50s or 60s was found two kilometres south of that truck.
Police said Schmegelsky and McLeod were later spotted on surveillance video at a grocery store in northern Saskatchewan and believed to be travelling in a grey 2011 Toyota RAV4.

This article includes quotes from one of the suspects parents.

And the 2011 Toyota RAV4 has now been found burned out in Manitoba - here's the CBC photo of it.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
The suspects were seen in northern Manitoba yesterday and are suspected of another incident there.
https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/07/24/burned-vehicle-manitoba-manhunt-men-three-bc-deaths/
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
Update from CBC
The two guys missing are now suspects and Canada wide warrant has been isued for their arrest.

Imagine how their parents feel to go from "their kids are missing" to "their kids are murder suspects"?

Hope they catch them quick and they don't go down in a hail of bullets so maybe they can find out what turned them.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Update from CBC
The two guys missing are now suspects and Canada wide warrant has been isued for their arrest.

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Bob B wrote:
I don't think there's much room for humor here.

You're correct. Its RV.net. the driest board on the w.w.w.

It is a 100% match though? Even Joe Kenda could not have done better.

3 People have been killed here .... not sure why you don't get it.
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Bob B wrote:

You're correct. Its RV.net. the driest board on the w.w.w.

It is a 100% match though? Even Joe Kenda could not have done better.

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer

Hey.....I know, I mean knew, that guy. Maybe he's like Elvis?

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an article showing the faces. Is still safe up here, but as always it's important to be prepared, and aware of your surroundings.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/couple-killed-in-bc-missing-persons-lucas-fowler-chynna-deese-1.5221657
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
Bob B wrote:
Not much info in the video, but the article has a drawing of a person of interest ..... probably be good for anyone traveling in the area to look at that.

Hope this link works.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/british-columbia-murders-north-carolina-woman-australian-man-canada-mi...

Photo didn't work out like I wanted but there is a link to it below.

PHOTO

Thanks for posting this Informative link. Apparently the teens were spotted in northern Saskatchewan driving a grey 2011 Rav 4.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Latest news is that has gone from three dead and two missing to three dead and two suspects on the run. The two missing teens from Port Alberni , where we used to live, are now suspects in maybe all three deaths!
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!