cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for Tulsa-Tucson Route

hhornig
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling from Tulsa, OK to Tucson AZ in early January. What routes do you recommend and what sites do you recommend seeing?
4 REPLIES 4

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite route to Southern California: from Tulsa take I-44 to OKC, pass over I-35, the turnpike continues as the name changes to the Kilpatrick Turnpike westbound. This will let you bypass going through OKC downtown. Stay on the Kilpatrick Turnpike going west, after you go past the Quail Springs Mall area keep going. It will curve to the left, stay in it, it will then take you Southbound to I-40. Take I-40 west to Amarillo. At Amarillo take I-27 south a short ways, get off I-27 and get on US HWY 60 WB. You'll go through Hereford, cross into New Mexico. At Clovis get on US HWY 70 headed to Roswell. At Roswell keep an eye out for UFO's and extraterrestrial aliens, there is a UFO museum in Roswell. Stay on US HWY 70, go through Ruidoso to Tularosa-Alamogordo. Get on US HWY 70 to Las Cruses. At Las Cruces get on I-10 and mosey on to the AZ border to Tucson. Really cool place to see:

After you cross into AZ on I-10 in about 20-maybe-30 miles you'll go through a location called Texas Canyon, do this in the daylight so you see the AMAZING landscape of GINORMOUS boulders, it's awesome, so pull into the rest area and marvel at this, take pics.

I live in OKC, I no longer take I-40 unless I have a specific reason, I greatly prefer the scenery of what I call the Southern Route. It's much prettier and interesting and as well has better weather.

BTW if the weather is bad between OKC and Amarillo, just stay on I-44 to Wichita Falls TX. Get on US HWY 277 or 380, try to pass by South of the Lubbock area and work your way West to New Mexico, depending on weather conditions just look at your map-atlas. I try to avoid arriving at El Paso because that's too far South and too many miles, unless you just want to see that area, if weather is bad enough just head for El Paso by whatever way as necessary. If you're not in a hurry the little towns and little highways are interesting. Have fun.

Have fun, enjoy your trip, be safe.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to do this trip often when we lived in TUS and had family in DFW and south OK.

If you're in a hurry, US-75 down to Dallas, and then I-20 to I-10.

If you're not, swing off I-20 over US-180 almost anywhere west of Fort Worth, and then onto US-62 @ Hobbs into El Paso, where you can get back on I-10.

As for sights... We would always detour to Carlsbad Caverns year-round and overnight at Guadeloupe Mt. Nat'l Park.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
William Willard wrote:
Stay off I-40 through Texas, New Mexico & Arizona -- High elevation & snow/ice will probably be a problem -- Drop down to I-20/I-10 & you will be OK or at least, less likely to have cold weather -- Bill Willard

Good advice, I live in NM and the weather can change by the hour. I25 is close right now between Albuquerque & Santa Fe for snow, State has little equipment to remove it.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

William_Willard
Explorer
Explorer
Stay off I-40 through Texas, New Mexico & Arizona -- High elevation & snow/ice will probably be a problem -- Drop down to I-20/I-10 & you will be OK or at least, less likely to have cold weather -- Bill Willard