cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Redwoods NP to Yosemite NP

realladyat57
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions on the best route between these two National Parks? We're towing a 26' TT. Thanks.
MaryAnne
12 REPLIES 12

realladyat57
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up taking 101 to CA 20. It was a decent drive with some beautiful views. Right now we are staying Williams, CA on our way to Yosemite. Thanks for all the help.
MaryAnne

2dogtravellin
Explorer
Explorer
This is a longer, but much prettier route (from Google maps). Rt 395 south of Reno is one of the most interesting drives you can do if you like geology and spectacular scenery:

Take French Camp Rd and Pine Creek Rd to CA-96 W in Hoopa
54 min (19.4 mi)

Follow CA-299 E to CA-44 E in Shasta County
3 h 26 min (172 mi)

Turn right to stay on CA-44 E (signs for Susanville/Reno)
45 min (45.8 mi)

Take US-395 S to CA-120 W in Tuolumne County
4 h 19 min (242 mi)
Yosemite National Park
California

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
aerbus32 wrote:
realladyat57 wrote:
A ranger we spoke to suggested 101 to 36 to I-5. Any reason why 36 would be a problem with a 25' TT?

What did you do to make him mad? Or was the theme song to 'Deliverance' playing in the background? I'm going to try to attach a picture taken from on 5 near Red Bluff.

I can't figure out how to post the picture. Questions about this route are frequent. Last time I was in the area, my wife took a picture of the sign designating the route exiting the off ramp. It states, "Trucks/RV's not advised."

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
realladyat57 wrote:
A ranger we spoke to suggested 101 to 36 to I-5. Any reason why 36 would be a problem with a 25' TT?

What did you do to make him mad? Or was the theme song to 'Deliverance' playing in the background? I'm going to try to attach a picture taken from on 5 near Red Bluff.

OregonLuvr
Explorer
Explorer
I drove 36 ONCE in a sports car never again . I take 101 to 20 to I-5. I drive a 35ft MH and towing my SUV and this route is the best I have found.
Karen
2007 Winnebago Voyage 35A
2010 Chevy Equinox
Tibetan Spaniel Blossom Co-pilot

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Do not even consider taking Hwy 36 between 101 and I-5. Mostly two narrow lanes with no shoulders, potholes and patches on patches, not to mention the twisty turns. I used to drive it for work in a 4WHD pickup and being paid for it is the only way I would drive it.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
You don't want to take HWY 36, very narrow and tight turns. Take Hwy 20 instead, you go through Willits on 101 and catch hwy 20 near Ukiah and go over to Williams and catch I 5.
Note top off fuel in Willits, Safeway has fuel on 101 at hwy 20
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA20 is further south, skirting Clear Lake. It's much lower and shorter than the routes across the coast mountains. The north shore of Clear Lake is built up, and some recommend a faster way around the south side, but the directions are complicated.

You stay of US101 past where CA1 turns off toward the coast.

CA20 continues across the Central Valley (through rice land) and into the Sierras, eventually joining I80 over Donners Pass).

realladyat57
Explorer
Explorer
If not HWY 36, which way would you go? We've been told that Hwy 299 has major delays(up to two hours.)I can't find Hwy 20.
MaryAnne

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Some roads are good, some roads......not so much. I would not take 36.

realladyat57
Explorer
Explorer
MaryAnne

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would take 101, 20, I-5, 120.