cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadside Food stops?

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Setting up for a long trip and will overnight on road and making minimal stops. Just wondering what interstate/exits are like to stop and eat, Cracker Barrels, national chains, Etc...can't take the C through drivethrus.
24 REPLIES 24

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:

If you are traveling the blue roads outside of urban areas, you might even do the kid feed underway.

Matt

Most of my travel has not been for pleasure, so interstate was the way to go. Most times, if I have had to take sudden action, it is not on the limited access highways. I don't recommend anybody in a moving vehicle not strapped down, but side roads are not the place to do it.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fear of Covid is amazing... you're probably at greater risk dumping your tanks or refueling.

Did quite of out-of-state travel this year, and had no problems with sit-down eating in every state *except* for Illinois and Indiana.

Businesses are hurting everywhere, so every chance we have to help keep restaurant workers employed, we do.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
I think you're nuts. This Covid ere last thing I would want to do is enter some random roadhouse for a meal.
Eat out of your fridge,but if you are desperate for a SYSCO generic meal, I am sure that you can find a place with a walk up window.
You can stretch your legs on any piece of land that is not an interstate shoulder.

Do not plan to enter anywhere without mask or eat inside. It's either outdoor dining or in the MH.

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
8ntw8tn wrote:
Over the years traveling to, and from, Texas we've utilized about all the ways to get meals on the road. It usually depends on what our schedule (if any), location, and whims dictate. We've stopped for fuel and gone in to a sit-down restaurant or fast food joint. Sometimes we'll get a fast food burger and take it with us, eating going down the road. Other times, after getting fuel, we'll pull into a parking space and have lunch in the trailer. And we've also pulled over into a rest area, made lunch, and eaten it either in the trailer or at one of the shaded picnic tables. Depending on the weather, the latter is my f
avorite. Hope this helps.

Yep we have done it all ways as well.

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years traveling to, and from, Texas we've utilized about all the ways to get meals on the road. It usually depends on what our schedule (if any), location, and whims dictate. We've stopped for fuel and gone in to a sit-down restaurant or fast food joint. Sometimes we'll get a fast food burger and take it with us, eating going down the road. Other times, after getting fuel, we'll pull into a parking space and have lunch in the trailer. And we've also pulled over into a rest area, made lunch, and eaten it either in the trailer or at one of the shaded picnic tables. Depending on the weather, the latter is my favorite. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're nuts. This Covid ere last thing I would want to do is enter some random roadhouse for a meal.
Eat out of your fridge,but if you are desperate for a SYSCO generic meal, I am sure that you can find a place with a walk up window.
You can stretch your legs on any piece of land that is not an interstate shoulder.

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Devil,

I guess I don't understand. You have a class C correct? Doesn't have a galley with a reefer and stuff? Why are you stopping at places for crumby food. Just bring the good stuff with you. Then, all you have to find is a flat quiet place. Not only will the food be better, but way cheaper too.

Did you not provision prior to departure?? Most grocery stores have BIG lots and are easy to park in.

If you are traveling the blue roads outside of urban areas, you might even do the kid feed underway.

Matt

We are self contained in the C for sure and always stock refrig, etc. However, there are times I will want to stretch legs and go sit down for meal somewhere, no just fast food stops...assume places on road/interstates and at rest stops are open and have outdoor seating. I have not been interstate since last year prior to COVID so just asking what everyone's experience is throughout the states.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
dave54 wrote:
We just pull off the road (rest areas on interstates, large turnouts on other roads) and fix our own meals. Cheaper and less bother.
X-2, rest areas, Truck Stops both have big parking areas, we don't make full meals while actually traveling, a sandwich, maybe a pre-made salad, (Macaroni or potato) maybe some chips and back on the road, something fast & easy.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We walked through a drive through the other day. Had to park at a gas station, then walk over to the fast food rest. The dine in was closed, so just walked through. They were very nice, even told the people behind us to not run us over. We did wear masks.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Devil,

I guess I don't understand. You have a class C correct? Doesn't have a galley with a reefer and stuff? Why are you stopping at places for crumby food. Just bring the good stuff with you. Then, all you have to find is a flat quiet place. Not only will the food be better, but way cheaper too.

Did you not provision prior to departure?? Most grocery stores have BIG lots and are easy to park in.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
A GPS or smart phone should also provide this information.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I've not generally had trouble finding places to get food where parking is reasonably available. Between fixing stuff myself in the motorhome, or getting prepared items from large grocery stores, or stopping at restaurants that have good parking available (which includes most in or next to strip malls), I haven't found it a big problem in practice. Being not too picky helps, of course.

Being able to make or reheat one's own food is a big advantage. A can of soup and a sandwich makes for a substantial lunch that doesn't take much time to prepare, nor costs a lot of money.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Most truck stops will have some type food, the drivers need to eat, and there would be parking while you do.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I once stopped at a Sonic which had a truck drive thru... steps outside and high speaker. That was nice! I use Cracker Barrels (but try to stop by 11 a.m. or maybe no RV parking due to cars in RV spots).. sometimes there is a fast food place right near a shopping center. Park in shopping center and walk over to eat in or bring back to RV. If I have lunch stuff and not too hot, I will fix in trailer. When I get to campground, unhook and go out and get dinner and bring it back.