Explorer
No insurance and this happens

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/video/858588
17 REPLIES 17

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Apparently the USA is advising against any travel in that whole area including the coastal road

I live here and I advise against the Caborca area not Caborca itself, its a lovely place, but the outlying area. We have known it is sketchy for a few years. I have to go through sometimes but I would never go at sunset or later. It is no mans land out there. All agricultural and hardly any traffic. Not a great idea to "troll" through that area with 70k worth of goods.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently the USA is advising against any travel in that whole area including the coastal road

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
smarty wrote:
Have to admit that my wife is correct in that she will not allow us to vacation in Mexico

If you feel the need to go to Mexico, take a cruise (when and if they start running again).
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Have to admit that my wife is correct in that she will not allow us to vacation in Mexico

iguana07
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately not the first time this has happened in Mexico. This was a coordinated effort. Someone north of the incident, toll booth, fuel station etc. Let their compadres know they were coming.
These were not just run of the meal thieves. But right now according to family I have in Mexico, so many out of work petty theft is at new levels.
Glad to hear they are all safe!
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I showed this to the DW and the first thing she said was "the way things are going it won't be long before this type of incident will be happening here". Wake up America! I grew up in Tucson and spent many many days south of the border, how times have changed.

Talleyho69
That is all true. However, they were out in the middle of nowhere, and it always helps to have at least copies of essential documents and a snapshot of any pet that might be missing.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Send the documents to your own email. You can then print them at any ciber cafe, Office Depot, Office Max, etc. Also good to have on a USB memory or burn them on a CD. Many options.

You can access to the cloud using any device if you have lost your phone.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Talleyho69 wrote:
A reminder:

Probably 30 years ago we read all about having an emergency envelope, placed where it would be automatically grabbed by one of us exiting our vehicle. It contained copies of our insurance, passports, visas, dog paperwork, photos of the dogs and cat........
Now it is easy to keep all that stuff on your phone, or in some cloud storage place like Dropbox. Then it is available anywhere.

......as long as you still have your phone! The envelope idea is a great back-up.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
A reminder:

Probably 30 years ago we read all about having an emergency envelope, placed where it would be automatically grabbed by one of us exiting our vehicle. It contained copies of our insurance, passports, visas, dog paperwork, photos of the dogs and cat........
Now it is easy to keep all that stuff on your phone, or in some cloud storage place like Dropbox. Then it is available anywhere.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Don't go places where you aren't allowed to properly defend yourself. South of the border they know you can't defend yourself and are easy prey. We quit going decades ago.

When we used to go to Rocky Point we got Mexican insurance but that was just for car wrecks down there. Shouldn't your regular car insurance cover the theft in Mexico?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
There has been lots of robberies somewhere around Caborca.
https://www.elimparcial.com/policiaca/Quema-de-negocios-y-vehiculos-reportan-en-la-carretera-entre-Caborca-y-Sonoyta-20200926-0015.html

Talleyho69
A reminder:

Probably 30 years ago we read all about having an emergency envelope, placed where it would be automatically grabbed by one of us exiting our vehicle. It contained copies of our insurance, passports, visas, dog paperwork, photos of the dogs and cat, some US cash, copy of a current credit card, and other things we thought would make things a bit easier if the worst happened. It was designed for vehicle accidents, fires, medical emergencies and anything else we could think of.

Fortunately we never had to use it. Now, we only keep our Mexico drivers licenses in the car for ID, and the insurance policy.

islandvagabonds
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear of this family's ordeal but you have to admit they were driving and towing the equivalent of a "candy" store.
Glad they are safe. The father did exactly the right thing. It is just stuff.