Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rock springs wy. to Thermopolis wy. then onto Cody

Momboy007
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
Me and my wife will be spending time in Wy this next Week and just want to make sure we are choosing the correct routes. We will be coming out of Rock Springs Wy. to Thermopolis, then on to Cody Wy.
Will the roads be OK for me to pull with my 24 foot motorhome pulling a Dinghy. Are the mountains huge and steep?

Thanks all

Rick
6 REPLIES 6

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Down grade to Lander Oct 26 2012. Towing my TT.

Momboy007
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You both so very much for the info, When I get to Rock River, it sounds like I better call 511 for road info. I cannot wait, I have never been to Wyoming acept Yellowstone, but I always went in through Idaho.

Thanks again so much,

Rick

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
That is correct. The down grade into Lander is actually steeper. In the winter months down hill into Lander has ice and gets dangerous. In the summer no problems except the WY wind on occassion. I always check wind before going over that pass. I drive it 5 or 6 times a year winter and summer.Only easy way to go south from nw WY. I think I have a winter photo going down into Lander. I'll post if I can find it.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
no steep mountains to Cody on your route. you go through a scenic canyon, but road is fine.
enjoy

X2

I assume you will take route 191 out of Rock Springs to join route 28 near Farson to route 287 then routes 789 and 26 to pick up route 20 at Shoshoni then route 120 from Thermopolis to Cody. Only grade I can recall on that route is a downgrade through the Wind River Canyon north of Boysen.

FYI, route 28 crosses the South Pass, where the Oregon Trail crossed the Continental Divide. There are several pullouts with interpretive signs along the road. South Pass isn't a mountain pass in the usual sense, just a very gradual ascent and descent. About 2-3 miles of good gravel road off route 28 is South Pass City, a restored mining town dating from the 1860's. A few miles closer to the junction with route 287 is Red Canyon, with a pullout and interpretive signs on the left.

A few miles outside of Lander is Sinks Canyon State Park, an interesting place with a nice campground next to the river.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
191 north out of Rock Springs long staight uphigh grade to Farson. Easy because it is s long. Farson to Lander easy. The down hill grade into Lander much steeper. South Pass pretty easy this time of year. Just to be safe while in Rock Springs dial 511 for WY weather. I always check for wind warnings any time of year going over the pass & down to Lander. Coming down into Thermop you'll enjoy the wind river canyon. Those tunnels are high enough. Unless you have reservations a lot of RVers stay at Walmart in Cody. West side of lot.

You may want to fuel up at Flying J in Rock Springs.

That Sleeping Bear RV park in Lander is nice.

If you would like to see that weather on their web site go to:

www.wyoroad.info

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
no steep mountains to Cody on your route. you go through a scenic canyon, but road is fine.
enjoy
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.