cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2018

JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
Okay...I know 2017 hasn't even taken off, but those of you that remember me from Roll Call 2013 know that I plan well ahead of time, lol.
4 years is way too long to go without being in Alaska so we are heading up again. This time my sister (Barbara), her husband (Pat) and their baby poodle (Koko) are going with us with their Bounder. We are planning to leave from Bullhead City, AZ around the end of May.
Would love to get a roll call started if anyone else out there is as much of an early planner as I am.
For those of you heading up this year, have a safe and wonderful trip and maybe you will enjoy it so much that you will join us in 2018. :W

Janet and Gary
Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow
532 REPLIES 532

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
Life's fun in the Last Frontier.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My opinion: Our AK trip was an adventure and if oil change was needed I'd have it done and enjoy the trip. And we did have a car repair done in $$$ Anchorage but in a few hours we continued our adventure.

One person spent some unplanned time in Fairbanks, one left his trailer axle on a Yukon road and one was in his 19th day in Dawson Creek getting his bent 5er hitch repaired. And another could not get his Cummins running correctly in Haines so he took the ferry to Victoria. Those were some significant trip delays/changes.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
It's a PITA when your on the road. My Ford when I was in Anchorage holds 15 qts. 1st the drain container then the disposal. I took it to a lube place, had my own oil and filter with me and they did a nice, quick oil and filter change.

When on the road I pay for services. When at home I do it myself.
2006 Lance 1191

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
How do you dispose of used oil? Are there that many places to do so?

In the US, if they sell it, they have to take used back. Any automotive store or shop will normally accept it no questions asked. In the Anchorage area the landfill and transfer stations all have free oil recycling dump stations.

Not true. In Alaska you have to take it to the dump. Eagle river dump can take it outside anchorage.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
2gypsies wrote:

In the US, if they sell it, they have to take used back. Any automotive store or shop will normally accept it no questions asked. In the Anchorage area the landfill and transfer stations all have free oil recycling dump stations.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Pioneer Village Campground, I think I got it correct, in Whitehorse, Yukon has facilities where you can change your own oil. At least I did it there several years ago.
in 2016 I had my oil changed in Fairbanks, AK at a Liffy lube.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Changing oil & carrying the necessary filters is good insurance for trouble free travel
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Jayco1c
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes you are the first one to say anything about changing oil on you tow truck.

The wife and I are heading to Alaska next year and I will be changing my oil some where along the way.

Along with other things (air filter, full filters).

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Dawson City, YT. Came up the Cassier with side trips to Stewart, Hyder, and Atlin. Heading up the Dempster tomorrow for Inuvik and possibly Tut, then back and into AK a few days later. Lost rear passenger bin door on Hwy 2 to Dawson.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

n2light
Explorer
Explorer
Still a week away from Alaska. On the Sikanni River tonight, should cross the border on the Top of the world highway around July 3rd.
2013 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L
2016 Keystone Cougar 5th Wheel
K6DN - 146.52

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
sljohnson1938 wrote:
bump - to get this back at the top.

come on you guys traveling up North.
we have been there two times and now our third time traveling with you.
love to read your adventures, I can close my eyes and see you there.
love it.
keep up the postings.

stuart

For some of us the style of travelling involves alot of dry camping in places where there is NO cell service or WIFI. We have been over a week of basically no internet access. The past 3 nights have been out at the Teklaneka CG in Denali. No nothing there. Wonderful. Currently in Wassila for a laundry evening then Eagle SP for a couple nights for truck oil change, DW nails done & a grocery stockup for Kenai.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Starting on August 17 will be an interesting trip. I left Skagway for WA on 8/17 and most of the CGs on the Alaskan Highway were closed and very few tourists. We were the only rig at one CG and I asked when they would close - "As soon as we run out of fuel." All of their AC power was from a generator but he was referring to the fuel pumps.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

IrishSettler
Explorer
Explorer
I’ll be a couple of days behind you, I will also be leaving on August 17, from eastern Pennsylvania ??.

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy the snow driving home.
2006 Lance 1191