cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2019

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
Things seem to be a bit slow lately, so Let's get the ball rolling for next year. Scuttlebutt has it that several folks are looking northward for springtime road trips.

I would like to say, if the planets align, and the Lord keeps us healthy, our new trailer (on order) is ready, that we are planning to cross the 49th parallel at Eastport, Idaho on, or about May 1.
We will be on a slow schedule, but hope to cross into Alaska in early to mid June.

So how about it? Who else is planning to be going that direction?
Ken

“needs” and “wants” are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskier…
138 REPLIES 138

HollardawgUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
For those who are in the planning stages of your 2019 Alaska trip, please be aware that last week's 7.0 earthquake just north of Anchorage has caused significant damage to the infrastructure. Many roads and bridges have sustained extensive damage.

Due to the severe winters and permafrost conditions, in Alaska, much of the repair work can not even begin until spring. In Alaska, spring can be as late as June.

We are monitoring the USGS website and the Alaska newspapers for current information.

HollardawgUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I would add is that the Victoria Day weekend can get somewhat crowded. You might want to look at your planned schedule and try to be away from any major cities May 18-20 in 2019.

In 2008 we were in Fairbanks for the Summer solstice. They throw a huge party all over the city. Definitely a great time. BTW it hit 90* that week we were there.

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
kcfissel wrote:
Things seem to be a bit slow lately, so Let's get the ball rolling for next year. Scuttlebutt has it that several folks are looking northward for springtime road trips.

I would like to say, if the planets align, and the Lord keeps us healthy, our new trailer (on order) is ready, that we are planning to cross the 49th parallel at Eastport, Idaho on, or about May 1.
We will be on a slow schedule, but hope to cross into Alaska in early to mid June.

So how about it? Who else is planning to be going that direction?

Good luck with your new trailer. Just a thought from someone who has lived, traveled the road more than 4 times and worked in Alaska...

You'd be smart to actually cross the Alaska border around MAY 15th. May is a great month. Your chances of seeing Denali are much better and the weather is usually good by then.

So many people wait until June which is fine but there are significantly more people around as the Cruise ship passengers are arriving in full force then.

And just a general note: Fairbanks, although the farthest north major city has the best summer weather by far than the rest of Alaska.

HollardawgUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
You are absolutely right on all counts. We worked in Haines at Hitch-Up RV Park during the summer of 2011. Took the Fast Ferry to both Skagway and Juneau. Its an awesome trip. Highly recommended.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
HollardawgUSMC wrote:
You probably already know this, but Juneau has no roads in or out. So you can't drive there. The only way to get there is by boat or by air.
We have been to Juneau twice on the AMHS ferries. You can take the ferry from Prince Rupert, Skagway, or Haines, all of which are easily reachable by RV. From Skagway or Haines, the trip is only a few hours. You can take your RV or just leave it in an RV park and ride the ferry, staying in a motel in Juneau, which is how we did it. The ferries run between Skagway, Haines, and Juneau several times a day, so are very convenient. In addition, the cost without an RV or cabin is very reasonable compared to airfares.

You can access the AMHS Website HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

HollardawgUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to add to Campigloo's post. If possible, buy your fuel in populated places. Fuel gets rather pricey out in the "bush" areas. Otherwise he is spot on.

Jayco1c
Explorer
Explorer
Campigloo

Thanks you for your report this is the kind of information I like down to earth.

We hope to be leaving Alabama the day after Mothers day May 12 on our way to Alaska.

We will be taking our time we have all summer.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
We took our first AK trip this year. We entered Canada through Glacier in June and reentered the 48
in September. We learned a lot. Canada nor Alaska are third world places that some YouTubers would leave you to believe. Fuel and services were not hard to find. Yes, there were remote areas but there’s nothing new about that. We brought five Jerrycans for fuel and two for water. That was backwards. I didn’t need to bring every tool I own. One of the best things we did was bring a little Ryobi gen. It paid for itself many times over in camp fees, and we don’t stay at Walmart parking lots. It did enable us to camp in some amazing places!

HollardawgUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
You probably already know this, but Juneau has no roads in or out. So you can't drive there. The only way to get there is by boat or by air.

kjcole
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving from near Cincinnati around May 23. We'll be meeting our daughter and grandson when they fly into Juneau. We'll be in and around Alaska for 5 weeks.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Flying but will be out there in August on Kodiak Island and most likely Anchorage area as well. This is the trip we were supposed to take this year.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

HollardawgUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
Bump

Jayco1c
Explorer
Explorer
Hollardawgusmc;

Thank you I received your itinerary. I have been going over it and I like your rout.

We are looking forward to our trip on leaving Alabama May 12, 2019 with no returner date it depends on how tired we are.

Again Thank You
JOHN

majordad
Explorer
Explorer
Hollardawgusmc;
You can send me a copy of your itinerary to majordad01@charter.net

Thanks

HollardawgUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
photonanax3,

Send me your email address. My email is listed in my post.