cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route Advice Estes Park to Great Basin and then Utah

vroberts26
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning an August - October trip from Estes Park to see RMNP - then to great Basin National Park in Nevada - and then the Utah national parks. We are kind of leary about driving through the Rocky Mountains on route 34 (Trail Ridge Road). We have a 41 foot 5th wheel. Any advice on this, or suggestions for alternate routes? Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
For what it's worth, here is a link to one of our blog entries on Great Basin:

GBNP

As always GREAT IMAGES!!!!
Thanks,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For what it's worth, here is a link to one of our blog entries on Great Basin:

GBNP
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have towed a small (12 foot) trailer on Trail Ridge -- no problem. But a long vehicle that does not bend in the middle? Not a good idea. The hairpin turns on the west side are too narrow, I think.

You will love Great Basin! Try to allocate several days there -- very cool weather, beautiful mountains, caves, etc.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
vroberts26 wrote:
We are planning an August - October trip from Estes Park to see RMNP - then to great Basin National Park in Nevada - and then the Utah national parks. We are kind of leary about driving through the Rocky Mountains on route 34 (Trail Ridge Road). We have a 41 foot 5th wheel. Any advice on this, or suggestions for alternate routes? Thanks!

RV's are not prohibited on Trail Ridge Road. As stated, tour buses and modified Jeep Jitney type vehicles are up there frequently. So are the occasional Motor Home/Travel Trailer/5th wheel. But there's a reason why there are not a bunch of them up there.

On the east side you climb through forest to about the 2 mile up level, and once you get to Rainbow Curve, you'll be above tree line for about 11 miles. Part of that is a narrow shelf road with no shoulders, no guard rails, and steep drop offs. And on the west side descent there's 5 hairpin curves that are very tight. Yes, buses do it; they are also professional drivers who've done it before. It ain't their first rodeo. If it's your "first rodeo", there are alternatives.

Leave Estes Park on CO 7 and head to Allenspark. Just past Allenspark, CO 72 splits off from CO7. These 2 roads are part of the Peak to Peak Highway which is a great drive. CO 7 to Allenspark is a bit rough and narrow, but no drop offs; you're in the forest. Once on CO 72, the road is generally good with shoulders. Yes there are curves and hills but nothing overly challenging. You'll take CO 72 to Nederland where you'll pick up CO 119, still the Peak to Peak Highway. That will take you to Black Hawk/Central City. You can continue on CO 119 down to I-70 (follow the signs) and then just take I-70 westbound to your next destination.

^^^^^I Agree ^^^^^
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We did the reverse of your trip several years ago--Great Basin NP to Denver, not Estes Park. We used US 50 to I-70, with an overnight stop at Colorado River State Park, Robb unit, in Fruita, CO.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Leave Estes Park on CO 7 and head to Allenspark. Just past Allenspark, CO 72 splits off from CO7. These 2 roads are part of the Peak to Peak Highway which is a great drive. CO 7 to Allenspark is a bit rough and narrow, but no drop offs; you're in the forest. Once on CO 72, the road is generally good with shoulders. Yes there are curves and hills but nothing overly challenging. You'll take CO 72 to Nederland where you'll pick up CO 119, still the Peak to Peak Highway. That will take you to Black Hawk/Central City. You can continue on CO 119 down to I-70 (follow the signs) and then just take I-70 westbound to your next destination.
Do this continuing west on I-70. Lots of RV's on this all the time. Use your transmission to keep your speed in check on the downhill side of Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass. Both are 7% for seven miles.

Join US 50 at Salina, UT and follow it to Great Basin NP.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
vroberts26 wrote:

RV's are not prohibited on Trail Ridge Road. As stated, tour buses and modified Jeep Jitney type vehicles are up there frequently. So are the occasional Motor Home/Travel Trailer/5th wheel. But there's a reason why there are not a bunch of them up there.

On the east side you climb through forest to about the 2 mile up level, and once you get to Rainbow Curve, you'll be above tree line for about 11 miles. Part of that is a narrow shelf road with no shoulders, no guard rails, and steep drop offs. And on the west side descent there's 5 hairpin curves that are very tight. Yes, buses do it; they are also professional drivers who've done it before. It ain't their first rodeo. If it's your "first rodeo", there are alternatives.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I may be conflating it with Going to the Sun Road, where they are banned. But it's not a route I'd recommend to someone who is gun shy over mountain roads...heh. That video will open their eyes anyway.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

Oh you will not be driving your Class A across Trail Ridge Road, big RV's are not allowed. You can drive your toad, assuming you have one. And I assure you that will provide a real eye opener in mountain driving. And there are many more mountains on the other side of RMNP so you won't be close to getting thru. Trail Ridge rd

I don't think that's true. At least I didn't see any signs saying that, and I definitely saw a lot of large RV's (and tour type busses too) on that road.

My wife was a little sketched out by the lack of guardrails, but I didn't find it a difficult drive (just our 30' MH, no toad). Speed limit is real low, and everyone is sightseeing and not in a hurry, it was a pleasant drive. Obviously more difficult in a 41 foot fiver, but I don't think it is prohibited.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no way to drive thru Colorado without going thru mountains and over mountains. You could drop down south to I-40 or even further south to I-10 and follow one of those thru New Mexico. But that is a bit out of your way.

You will have a hard time avoiding high altitude driving thru Colorado and Utah. Just get used to it. Sticking to Interstates will minimize the issue. No switchbacks anyway and they try to keep the grades at 7% or below. You could take I-70 across CO which will deliver you to the vicinity of Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef with Bryce and Zion to the south.

Oh you will not be driving your Class A across Trail Ridge Road, big RV's are not allowed. You can drive your toad, assuming you have one. And I assure you that will provide a real eye opener in mountain driving. And there are many more mountains on the other side of RMNP so you won't be close to getting thru. Trail Ridge rd
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper