cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route Advice needed from North Carolina to Southwest

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a five-week trip to the southwest(New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado) this spring. We will be in North Wilkesboro, NC first and will head west from there at the end of April. We are looking for suggestions and advice on the best route west from there. We are assuming we should take I-40, but wonder what the easiest and quickest route would be to connect with it from N. Wilkesboro. Should we pick up I-77 South and connect to I-40. Or is 16 South to I-40 a good route for towing? Or maybe some other route? We are mainly interested in getting to the southwest, not sightseeing along the way. We are headed to Monument Valley, Utah Parks, San Juan Mountains, etc. and are towing a 34-foot fifth wheel. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
9 REPLIES 9

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Travel glampers wrote:
Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Busskipper - Thank you for all your help. I have a question, though.

You routed us around Oklahoma and I was wondering if it was because of the road conditions or the lack of scenery.

Oklahoma was simple, at least for me, 20 years ago we drove a gas MotorHome through on I-40 (I honestly think it loosened all my fillings) so the only reason for me to be in the state is if I need to meet someone there. .:) The route suggested in Texas is one of the easier drives in Texas - Texas Is BIG - the route is made up of good roads and not so Big Towns so it is just easy.

Canyon de Chelly and Page, AZ are on our to-see list.

Love it and have never spoken with anyone we have recommended it to that did not enjoy it. Almost spiritual to Me.

We have been to Grand Canyon and Utah NPs,

As have I, But each different time, they always Look a little different - snow - sun - sunset - hot - cold - Perfect!

except Capitol Reef, on previous trips. Another

Goblins/Kodachrome/Escalante, on the way from Bryce or RT 12 to Capital Reef NP.

must-do will be Rt 12, the state parks around it, and Capitol Reef.

From previous posts of yours that I have read, we planned to also do Rt 128.

On RT 128 I almost feel if I am driving along the River at the bottom of the GC - Little smaller but you decide.

Our other major to-sees are Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Black Canyon of the Gunnison,

Canyon de Chelly - to Monument Valley/Mexican Hat/Goosenecks - then you could go to Mesa Verde and on to Durango or up towards Rico/Trout Lake/Dunton/Telluride/Last Dollar/Ridgway/Ouray/Silverton.

some combination of Ouray/Silverton/Durango/Cortez etc in Colorado.

Colorado is My second state - You will need more time - a lot more TIME.

I'm a bit unsure about how to approach the Colorado portion of the trip - which roads, campgrounds, etc.

Time is the Key, along with what you Like/Love. CLICKY - Look at post #9 in this post on Colorado

I am reading the many previous posts on the area and familiarizing myself.

Also, from your previous recommendations, we are planning to take Rt 36 back east.

Think you will enjoy it - it just is great till you get to the Mississippi - then back to I-70

Home is the Eastern Shore of Md.

Living in Arnold now but moving to the Shore as we speak - feel free to send a Personal note with your phone number and we could talk if you wanted/or if it would help.

It's a Big Country and once you get out West - almost every road is Great.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Busskipper - Thank you for all your help. I have a question, though. You routed us around Oklahoma and I was wondering if it was because of the road conditions or the lack of scenery. Canyon de Chelly and Page, AZ are on our to-see list. We have been to Grand Canyon and Utah NPs, except Capitol Reef, on previous trips. Another must-do will be Rt 12, the state parks around it, and Capitol Reef. From previous posts of yours that I have read, we planned to also do Rt 128. Our other major to-sees are Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, some combination of Ouray/Silverton/Durango/Cortez etc in Colorado. I'm a bit unsure about how to approach the Colorado portion of the trip - which roads, campgrounds, etc. I am reading the many previous posts on the area and familiarizing myself. Also, from your previous recommendations, we are planning to take Rt 36 back east. Home is the Eastern Shore of Md.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Travel glampers wrote:

We are planning a five-week trip to the southwest (New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado) this spring.

We will be in North Wilkesboro, NC first and will head west from there at the end of April.

We are looking for suggestions and advice on the best route west from there.

We are assuming we should take I-40, but wonder what the easiest and quickest route would be to connect with it from N. Wilkesboro.

Should we pick up I-77 South and connect to I-40. Or is 16 South to I-40 a good route for towing?

Or maybe some other route?

We are mainly interested in getting to the southwest, not sightseeing along the way.

We are headed to Monument Valley, Utah Parks, San Juan Mountains, etc. and are towing a 34-foot fifth wheel.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

5,000 miles and 5 weeks

Can we add a week and mabe start a week earlier?

I left things out NM and all the little spots along the way - but the map will give you a little taste of the Southwest.

Keep Planning.

Info that might help.

Stan Parker's photos of places you might enjoy - easy to find images

4runnerguys - Moab info -

San Juan's will be passable but the higher elevation could still have snow when you are in the area - ran you through colorado Easy drive.

Cdot cameras will really help - sane in Utah and Arizona

To big to really help much more than a Big picture - might be able to help more if you are more focused on a Particular area or site.

Been making this trip for the last 20 years as I have a son outside of Boulder, so the RT 36 is a good drive - and the Texarkana connection in Texas avoid the worst part of I-40 through Oklahoma. Think I slipped in RT 128 out of Moab and RT 6 into Golden two Great drives - so much to see and do but never enough TIME.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I concur with terryallen. Once you hit I-40 just head west. Plenty of campgrounds to choose from seeing you only want overnight stops. Timing may be essential when going thru the bigger cities like Nashville and Memphis, they can be nightmares traffic wise. Asheville is fine usually, Knoxville is fine outside of rush hour time. The Pigeon River Gorge is not that scary turn and grade wise but its mostly down hill so gear down and don't ride your brakes. Oklahoma City can be quite busy but after Oklahoma City its pretty much clear sailing. Safe travels to you.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I-40 does not go thru Dallas. That would be I-30 and I-20. And that plus 287 would be well out of your way. Stay on I-40 thru Little Rock, OKC, Amarillo, Albuquerque, and on west.

But the other sites mentioned are worth a visit. April/May/early June is a good time to visit the Great Sand Dunes. Medano Creek runs across the base of the dunes until mid June or so and is great fun for the kids. Wide but only inches deep for the most part. Take their swim suits.

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for such quick replies. I-40 thru Nashville, etc. is the way we assumed we should go.
Terryallen - Thank you so much. This is exactly the information we needed.
agesilaus - Thank you for your routing suggestions, especially into Colorado. We had never heard of Capulin Volcano NM, but it sounds fascinating, and we'll try to do it. Great Sand Dunes is already on our list.
We really appreciate the help from all of you.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travel glampers wrote:
We are planning a five-week trip to the southwest(New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado) this spring. We will be in North Wilkesboro, NC first and will head west from there at the end of April. We are looking for suggestions and advice on the best route west from there. We are assuming we should take I-40, but wonder what the easiest and quickest route would be to connect with it from N. Wilkesboro. Should we pick up I-77 South and connect to I-40. Or is 16 South to I-40 a good route for towing? Or maybe some other route? We are mainly interested in getting to the southwest, not sightseeing along the way. We are headed to Monument Valley, Utah Parks, San Juan Mountains, etc. and are towing a 34-foot fifth wheel. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Honestly if I were you. I'd do 18 to Lenoir, and on to Morganton on 18. You hit 40 in Morganton. And they are easy roads to tow on. We run 16 out of Hickory to Raccoone Holler all the time, and have ridden from Lenoir to Morganton. Not a bad ride.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't advise you on the pre-I40 route. But once you get on I40 stay on it thru Dallas-Ft Worth. There is a bypass around it but I don't know if you are up to advanced routing(heh). On the other side of Dallas pick up US 287 and stay on that to Amarillo. Then North on 287 to Dumas TX, not that far, and turn west on US 87 to you hit I-25. Take that north to Walsenburg CO then west on US 160 thru some spectacular mountain country. That will get you to Cortez CO in the west of Colorado and that is the edge of the Four Corner's park loop. And right at Mesa Verde NP if you plan to stop there.

Tho you say you aren't interested in sight seeing before the Utah parks I'd suggest a quick drive up Capulin Volcano park which you go right past and can drive up to the top of the volcano in an an hour or so. That's just north of hwy 87 in New Mexico. And especially if you have kids a diversion to Great Sand Dunes NP which you drive near and is exceptionally popular with the younger set. Maybe a half day there and back to Hwy 160 depending on how much time you spend on the dunes.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I'd head thru Nashville and then straight west.

Google maps will show you the way easy.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer