cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route and Campgrounds from Orlando to Las Vegas

Hansboomer
Explorer
Explorer
First time doing a Cruise America standard and wondering if suggested places to overnight. Only want to do about 8 hours max a day. Have about 5-7 days to make the trip. This is a pretty straight drive and not a “vacation “ trip. Thanks in advance,
5 REPLIES 5

mlpeloquin
Explorer
Explorer
Did this twice crossing the country. I do pay attention to the weather. I will take a day or two longer if necessary to avoid really bad weather. I went north and then east and then south to avoid high winds, tornadoes, and very heavy rain once. I took off early and just beat a front that had tornadoes that hit where I was staying two hours later.

Hansboomer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. Decision and route planned out. Appreciate the tips.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Phoenix mid day take 10, 202 bypass downtown, 10, 303, 60, 93.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dedmiston
I just did that drive last month when my flight home from a cruise went haywire (long story). We did it in a rental and made it in three nights (not recommended).

I really don't like I-10, so we went up through Atlanta and caught I-40 in Memphis and took it the whole way. It was a gorgeous drive and I'd do it again. Actually, I'm doing it again for business at the end of the month (another long story) and I'll take the same route, except I'll probably come south through Alabama into the panhandle instead of going through Atlanta again.

As far as places to stay, that totally depends on the time of year you're going. I'd pick your route first, and then start calling random camps along the way to find out how full they are to determine whether you're going to need reservations along the way. You'll definitely need reservations on the weekends.

RV Trip Wizard is a great tool for plotting out your trip. You can configure this bullseye of concentric circles to whatever distances you want (200, 300, & 400) and then use that to visually see how far you think you want to go in a day, and then find camps within those ranges.

A good round number is 50 mph average. The accounts for slower speeds in an RV plus stops for gas, food, and breaks.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Easy hit I75 to I10 to 95 at Blythe into Vegas. Campgrounds your choice.