Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route into Buena Vista Co. then to Wy.

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

I hope everybody is doing well in these (different) times we now live in. After some consideration we have decided to move forward with our summer plans. We have reserved a spot in Wyoming for the month of August near Jackson.

On the way we would like to visit the area around Buena Vista Colorado. There are several RV parks in the area and we will be making reservations today. Any opinions on a park to stay at would be a help.

This post is to get information about the route. I will be coming in from the southeast, and off I-25. Google calls for getting off at route 69 and follow that to U.S. 50 and U.S. 285. I am wondering how that road is and what I can expect for climbs.Would it be better (Easier) to go to Pueblo and take U.S. 50 in to B.V. I imagine there will be some climbing either way but I would prefer the easiest route.

After Buena Vista we will making our way north to Wyoming. What is a good road to follow to end up on I-80 some where between say Rawlins and Green River? Google shows U.S. 24 to I-70 to RT. 131
U.S. 24 looks very mountainous. I have never travelled this area and as I said before would want to avoid long steep climbs and descents if possible. I am not apposed to back tracking to I-25 if that is the easier softer way. That being said it is always fun to see new areas on the journey.

My RV is a 2001 36โ€™ Monaco Knight. It only has a 5.9 Cummins so big hills slow us pretty good as I am also towing a Hyundai Tucson on a dolly. So flat roads are my friend. ??

As always, I do appreciate any and all information to help with making the best travel plans. I hope everyone has a safe and fun summer traveling in your RV.

Thanks,
Phil
9 REPLIES 9

dedmiston
Lurker52 wrote:
Yes, I have heard about the rafting. We have done a lot of that in other parts of the country. I don't think I want to spend several hours that close to other people so we are going to pass on that kind of stuff. We need to keep our distance due to health reasons. We will do some hiking and enjoy the area. We will definitely check out some of the drives you suggested.

Thnaks

One of our kids is a raft guide (not there though) and they still have no idea how they're going to open up yet.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have heard about the rafting. We have done a lot of that in other parts of the country. I don't think I want to spend several hours that close to other people so we are going to pass on that kind of stuff. We need to keep our distance due to health reasons. We will do some hiking and enjoy the area. We will definitely check out some of the drives you suggested.

Thnaks

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Phil wrote:
We will do some hiking and just enjoy the area. We stay flexible on activities so we can see what the area offers and what looks interesting to us.

You probably know that Buena Vista is a center for rafting on the Arkansas River. Lots of choices of outfitters and the level of "adventure" you want.

From BV you can make a day of driving over to Aspen. After all you can't take your motorhome over Independence Pass anyway, but you can take your toad and enjoy the drive and the day.

Among the many good drives I will mention only a few.

You can drive over Cottonwood Pass into the Taylor River country and on over to Crested Butte. I understand the road is paved all the way now. For many years it was paved UP from BV to the pass but was gravel all the way down to Taylor Reservoir.

Another drive is from Nathrop, south of BV and up Chalk Creek to the "ghost town" of St. Elmo.

North of town, just before the turn off to Aspen there is a nice drive past Twin Lakes to other ghost towns such as Vicksburg (and I forget the other names).

Trails all over the place. I have taken the trailhead for the climb up Mt. Yale--not the peak itself but the trail called "Denny Creek." You may have the vigor to make the peak climb. I was too old by the time I made the Denny Creek Trail. This is off the Cottonwood Pass road. Denny Creek is on the right (north) side of the road. There is another trail which I have taken which follows Ptarmigan Creek on the south side of that same road. Both of these are day hikes, but for those who desire more there are plenty of trails that could be used for back packing.

I think you are going to have a great trip, and you have the right idea about gearing down on the descent from passes, so I don'think you will have any trouble.

I will be up that way in July with our fifth-wheel. I am not quite as much into "adventure" at my age of 87 but we are going to be trying some boondocking on the river out near Johnson Village and the KOA.

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Everyone,

Great information. I am thinking I will take Rt. 69 to U.S. 50 to U.S.285 into Buena Vista. It sounds like U.S. 24 to I-70 is a reasonable route out. Then either 131 to 40 to 13 or follow 1-70 to Rifle and up 13 there.

I did do a couple of passes last year heading into Jackson area. I had to gear down to 3rd a couple of times. I even had to start from a dead stop half way up on one thanks to a couple of mountain goats having a snack in the middle of the road. So, like all climbs, gear down, RPM up to 2-2200, slow and steady and exhaust brake on heading down in a low gear. Should be fun and a little exciting.

When in BV we will be doing day trips in the toad visiting many of the places you all have mentioned. We will avoid crowds for obvious reasons. We prefer that anyway. We will do some hiking and just enjoy the area. We stay flexible on activities so we can see what the area offers and what looks interesting to us.

I will certainly appreciate any further information about driving and the area in general.
Phil

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall we did 91 out of Leadville to Copper Mt, then I70 to 9 north at Silverthorne to Kremmling on way to Granby in a 26 ft Class with a V8. We didn't have any problems. When we left Granby, we took 125 all the way to WY and then 230 to I 80, 20 miles east of Rawlins. It was all a good road. At Kremmling, you could take US 40 west toward Steamboat Springs, then pickup 14 to Walden where it meets 125. I have never been that route, just a suggestion.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry to tell you this, but the only way you can avoid climbing passes out of Buena Vista is to go down to Pueblo and head north on I 25 to Ft. Collins and take 287 up to Laramie and I 80. Any other way is going to take you over a pretty high pass.
We also like Arrow Point rv park.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Phil wrote:
What is a good road to follow to end up on I-80 some where between say Rawlins and Green River? Google shows U.S. 24 to I-70 to RT. 131

Any way out of Buena Vista to the north will require climbing a pass. I've been over US 24 many times from Leadville over to I-70. The alternative is over Fremont Pass on CO 91 to I-70 Copper Mountain. I don't have an exact measure of this choice, but I don't think Fremont Pass would be any easier--maybe more difficult. (Though I would not hesitate to go over either, but I have a lot of experience with Colorado Passes.)

You could stay on I-70 to Rifle and take CO 13 to Meeker. We enjoy staying in Rifle Gap State Park. At Meeker you could take CO 24 to Dinosaur then US 40 on to Vernal, UT. Dinosaur National Monument is worth a stop and I especially recommend spending some time at Flaming Gorge National Recreational Area.

Well, that's enough for now. I think you will have a wonderful trip. Buena Vista has been a favorite of ours for years, the other stops I've mentioned have been more recent discoveries.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Phil wrote:
Any opinions on a park to stay at would be a help.

We have stayed in several of the RV parks in Buena Vista over the years. Our preference is either Arrowhead Point, north of town; or the KOA south of town. We prefer either of these over parks right in the town of Buena Vista. But, you have lots of choices.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Phil wrote:
U.S. 50 and U.S. 285. I am wondering how that road is and what I can expect for climbs.Would it be better (Easier) to go to Pueblo and take U.S. 50 in to B.V. I imagine there will be some climbing either way but I would prefer the easiest route.

This is the route we normally take from Walsenburg to US 50. It is a state highway and has only one gradual climb between Gardner and Westcliffe. It is narrow and winding at times, but I always take this route pulling a 34' fifth-wheel. Some avoid this route because of the charistics of the road, not because of steep climbs or descents.

In fact, we take CO road 1A directly into Cotapaxi rather than going on to Texas Creek, but I would not advise that for anyone not familiar with that steep descent into Cotapaxi.

If you do go on to Pueblo and take US 50 to Salida, you will go through more of the very winding canyon along the Arkansas River. It is a beautiful drive, but very slow going. You will have some of that from Texas Creek on into Salida. Just take it easy and enjoy the scenery.