cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route NW Chicago to Whitefish MT

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to Whitefish MT in 2 weeks coming from Crystal Lake IL., towing our small travel trailer. We plan on taking 4 days, 3 nights. I’m looking for a good route to head north from I94 to Whitefish. Google maps is leaving I94 at Glendive MT to HWY 2 and across. I’m wanting to make sure we can find a place to camp for our last night, about 300 miles out. Any suggested routes? Places to spend the night?
10 REPLIES 10

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
You rarely can go wrong on a US numbered highway...

I might push a little further west on 94 before heading up to US-2 on US-83 or US-85.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I take highway 2 from just north of Theodore Roosevelt NP all the way to Glacier. I really enjoy the slower pace of the trip and the little towns are fun to see. The people are very friendly.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
etrippe wrote:
Thanks to all that replied. We are taking I 94 to Fargo, I 29 to Grand Forks and then 2 the rest of the way. I’ve called parks along the route and feel pretty confident in availability. It’s an adventure. Again thanks for the input.

We took 2 across Montana and loved the drive. You'll see why they call it "Big Sky" on that route.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toughest part of the trip will be driving around Whitefish!

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that replied. We are taking I 94 to Fargo, I 29 to Grand Forks and then 2 the rest of the way. I’ve called parks along the route and feel pretty confident in availability. It’s an adventure. Again thanks for the input.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom/Barb wrote:
( Quote )
Use 212 from Belle Fourche to Crow Agency save nearly a day. Plenty of camping along the way.

Compared to I90 through Buffalo, that stretch of US212 saves at most 60 miles.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
( Quote ) The I94/90 route is longer, and has more passes, but is closer to towns, camping and other lodging options, and other traveler facilities. It passes, for example the north gateways to Yellowstone. (Quote)

Use 212 from Belle Fourche to Crow Agency save nearly a day. Plenty of camping along the way.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
US2 and MT200 cross the flat northern part of the state. US2 arond the south side of the park is one of the lowest passes over the Rockies. Years ago I camped at a COE campground near Wolf Point, and a map search should turn a few other options.

In the 2000s I chose to stay on I94 to Miles City, motel it there, and then take a 'diagonal' from Billings to St Marys. That was a full day of fuel efficient sub-freeway speeds driving. In part I chose that because I had limited information on my laptop MS Streets-n-trips about lodging options further north.

The I94/90 route is longer, and has more passes, but is closer to towns, camping and other lodging options, and other traveler facilities. It passes, for example the north gateways to Yellowstone.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
You could cut north at Brlfeil to Williston and use 2 thru the park. (very beautiful ride.)

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
94 joins 90 at Billlings then 90 to 93 north is as good as it gets