cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route through White Mountains, NH

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
After leaving Acadia NP, we will be passing through NH in June as part of our loop through the northeast states. I see three possible routes through the White Mountains. 1. US 2, 2. US 302, and 3. NH 112 (Kancamagus Highway). We will be tent camping on this trip and have a rental car. Which route would you take? Also, is there a NFS or SP CG along your preferred route that you could recommend for an overnight stop?

We've both been up Mt. Washington so probably won't do that again, but a short hike to a waterfall or lake isn't out of the question. The next day we're off through VT on our way to relatives in NY
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)
16 REPLIES 16

boubou64
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much ๐Ÿ™‚ We plan on driving around franconia notch and the likes while the trailer is at the campground, sightseeing.
Thanks again for the help
http://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram 1500 HEMI with integrated brake controller, tow mirrors and Michelins LTX/AT2 275/65R20 max load: 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi
Superglide 2700
Timbrens

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
I don't recall any part of 302 that was really steep. There may be a few places to downshift one gear but nothing that will "excite" you, other than the scenery and the steep hills on either side of the road. I think there is one downhill stretch just after the Fabyan Station on the Conway Scenic Railroad that is a bit steep but nothing like what you would find on the Kanc. There is another modest uphill stretch in Glen where Rt 16 splits off on the left toward Mt. Washington.

If it is a good day you may want to stop a few minutes at the scenic overlook at Intervale. The view to Mt. Washington can be quite spectacular.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

boubou64
Explorer
Explorer
ryegatevt wrote:
Ditto on the North Conway area, but 302 is almost all downhill from Twin Mountain to the Maine Coast.

Afe the grades very steep?
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram 1500 HEMI with integrated brake controller, tow mirrors and Michelins LTX/AT2 275/65R20 max load: 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi
Superglide 2700
Timbrens

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto on the North Conway area, but 302 is almost all downhill from Twin Mountain to the Maine Coast.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Twin Mountain is a nice scenic area.

Going 93 through the Notch would bring you to the Kanc which is more "hilly" than 302. Yes 302 is hilly but good road and as I recall the hills are not a real challenge. It is a nice scenic ride. The only downside is the traffic just North of and through North Conway. Southbound, it doesn't usually get bad until afternoon but from North Conway to Conway it is usually quite slow. In North Conway you can turn left at the light onto Kearsage Rd then right onto the North South road and bypass the section known as "The Strip" which is almost always slow, it is loaded with places to shop and eat. The North South Rd will drop you onto 302 again at the Walmart.
Gene and DW Ginny

boubou64
Explorer
Explorer
staying at KOA Twin Mountain and then driving to Old Orchard Beach. GPS tells me to drive on 302 down. Is this wise with the 5th wheel? is it very hilly or should I stay on 93 through Franconia notch?
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
Superglide 2700
Timbrens

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the Kancamagus Highway is the way we'll go. Lots of pull offs for photo ops and some interesting camping opportunities along the way.

Thanks for the input.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Rte 2 across the northern part of NH will give you great views of the Presidential Range, but the fewest CG options. (still several up there, tho...). Rte 302 into Conway, then north/west on Rte 302 takes you thru Crawford Notch - several hikes to waterfalls thru there, 1 NH SP (nice for tents) called Dry River CG right in the "Notch". Multiple pull-offs - Crawford Notch is the most dramatic of the numerous ones in our state IMHO. Nice USFS CG's at Zealand Rd. just before Twin Mountain - some of our favorites. Great afternoon hike up the Sugarloaf Mtns from those CG's. Rte 112 (Kancamagus Hwy) has MANY USFS CG's (Jigger Johnson is not the 1st from the east - Covered Bridge, Blueberry Crossing, Jigger johnson, Passaconaway, Big Rock, Hancock) are all great for tents - but tend to fill up quickly during the summer, especially on a weekend! Many short (or long) hikes from "the Kanc" - several waterfalls, too. Visit White Mountain National Forest website - good info on waterfalls, hikes, campgrounds. Rte 112 continues west past I-93/Lincoln area - not sure where you are headed. Franconia Notch SP is accessed by taking I-93 north from Lincoln, runs back into 302 in Littleton. 302 west towards Vermont gives you many covered bridges to see, too. PM me if you want more. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been on Rt.2 in a long time so no opinion there.

Many times when we stayed in North Conway we would do the great circle tour. Over the Kanc, up Rt.3, back down Rt.302. ALL of it is beautiful. No matter which way you go it will be good. :B

Sorry, that wasn't much help was it.
Gene and DW Ginny

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
following
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I would go over the Kanc. Lots of things to see and hike to both near and far. There's several NFS CG between the pass and Lincoln.

Flapjacks in Lincoln is a good place to start the day next morning.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Driving a car is easy on them all. 2 will take you directly to the northern area of Vermont. 2 will take you directly to a very nice campground at Discovery SP in Vermont. I have tent camped there. Another really nice Vermont SP I have camped at is Branbury Sp just south of Middlebury and north of Rutland off Rt7. Nice lake, pretty rocks and trails to waterfall. The campsites on the hill side are shady and close to the falls.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
The Kanc is for sure the prettiest way to go. Jigger Johnson is the first cg on the Kanc in Conway. There are others on the other side near Lincoln.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we left Acadia last Sept., we went across US 2 on the advice of some folks here on the forums, then dropped down to 302 & stayed in Bethlehem, glad we took the advise, great scenic route.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund