cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routes around Houston TX

michael_tee
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be driving (pulling 28' TT) from I-10 east of Houston going towards South TX, so down I-69. I've done this once before in reverse direction, ended up going thru downtown. Not fun, but at least I did that on early Sat morning.
For this trip, I'm curious about the quality of the ring roads (I-610, Sam Houston tollway). What in your opinion would be the best route to take? Also best times/days to travel thru? How much would the tollway cost?
13 REPLIES 13

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
one_strange_texan wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
Straight through downtown, just not at rush hour. Be on your A game and don't get rattled. If you want some country scenery take the 105 north route but you will see some traffic around Conroe, especially Lake Conroe area. The south route will give you the Gulf of Mexico scenery but the Galveston seawall traffic.

^ What he said, but I don't think I've ever seen a time when the traffic didn't back up on US59/I69 South going through downtown after you leave I10 until a ways past downtown on the southwest side. There currently is construction at US59 and I610 southwest of town near the Galleria (as there often seems to be).

I just did the I-10 to 59 to 288 to Med Center. As usual it gets all gummed up right at Minute Maid Stadium.
The OP may be making laps around 610. Would like to hear what he did. I considered recommending he take 90 to 2100 to New Caney to 99. But I'm not sure how they deal with someone with no EZ TAG.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

dedmiston
This thread is three weeks old now. Hopefully the OP has made his trip already and isn't still stuck doing laps around Houston.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Straight through downtown, just not at rush hour. Be on your A game and don't get rattled. If you want some country scenery take the 105 north route but you will see some traffic around Conroe, especially Lake Conroe area. The south route will give you the Gulf of Mexico scenery but the Galveston seawall traffic.

^ What he said, but I don't think I've ever seen a time when the traffic didn't back up on US59/I69 South going through downtown after you leave I10 until a ways past downtown on the southwest side. There currently is construction at US59 and I610 southwest of town near the Galleria (as there often seems to be).
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
The SE section of Beltway 8 is under construction. The lanes are so narrow I hate doing it in my car. The bright side is the tolls have been waved. The West 610 loop to I69 exchange is always a mess but doable.

If you're not in a big hurry and want to avoid Houston all together, I suggest turn South at Winnie, take the ferry to Galveston, Freeport and pick up I69 (59) at Edna

I agree, that is how we have done it several times with a 30 MH pulling a Jeep GC. It is an enjoyable and scenic trip.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Navasota has approved a new rv park, I think on the northwest side. If it's open it would be a welcome stop on a long stretch.
-jbh-

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
If time is your motivator, straight through Houston or around I-610 on the southeast side is your choice. Check and make sure they haven't closed the 610 bridge over the ship channel if it's a weekend . They've done that a couple of times to me.

However, if reduced stress and lower chance of an incident motivates you, consider the Galveston/Freeport option (south) or the TX 105 (north) option that others have suggested. Both would be more interesting, if you have the time.

Since I am retired, time is not my primary priority when travelling, so I tend to go around big cities.

If you take the TX 105 option, be sure to NOT take the exit for FM105 in Vidor on I-10. Stay on I-10 and take the US 69/96/287 exit north in Beaumont to the TX105 exit. Check it out on the map, especially if you need to plan your route south after getting to the other side of Houston.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Best route time wise is strait thru on the weekend. The Galveston route is about the same mileage wise but you spend time with the ferry crossing. The TX105 route is substantially longer.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
You could take TX-105 out of Beaumont around to Brenham and work your way southward.
-jbh-

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
I lived outside of Houston and worked downtown for some years. As you probably suspect, avoid rush hour at all costs, even to the point of stopping somewhere for a few hours (better stopped there than on the interstate!). But swinging wide of town on the back roads would be my advice as thats what we usually do to large cities when its possible. But everyone has their own preferences.
And fwiw, i did the Houston - south TX drive many times along the major road before there was an interstate below SA. Peaceful drive until you got near Houston.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
OUr route of choice going through Houston was always straight through downtown. I did all the driving, while DH navigated. But we also lived there for 3 months while he was undergoing cancer treatment and we really got to like the city. . . except for rush hour. We avoided rush hour like the plague. Best time for us was between 10 and noon.

We sometimes took the bypasses, but only once or twice, preferring to go straight through.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Explorer II
Explorer II
The SE section of Beltway 8 is under construction. The lanes are so narrow I hate doing it in my car. The bright side is the tolls have been waved. The West 610 loop to I69 exchange is always a mess but doable.

If you're not in a big hurry and want to avoid Houston all together, I suggest turn South at Winnie, take the ferry to Galveston, Freeport and pick up I69 (59) at Edna
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

dedmiston
The loops serve a good purpose. They're the best way to avoid downtown.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230