cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

S Cental PA to Outer Banks

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
We've never been to OB before, but I remember the nightmare of going to Myrtle Beach by going through beltway, etc. NOT doing it again. I'm thinking of 81 to 64 looks good and not a huge compromise in time. Recommendations?
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH
5 REPLIES 5

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get too freaked out when you go UP and over the water on a couple bridges near the banks. Kinda cool tho.Just as weird too is, once on the banks, you have sand dunes on both sides of the road, homes built on stilts. Kill Devil Hills--Home of the Wright Bros 1st flight, Light house tours, aquarium nearby, same name souvenir shops all the way down (cool stuff tho) oh and some Crab shack restaurant that will have you shakin' yer head cuz of it's name.

If you have a diesel truck, we got fuel at a Shell station on the right (at least it was a Shell 3 yrs ago) south of KDH and just a smidgen before you turn left towards the banks.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
81 has some beautiful views on the east side. Soon after you get on I-64 you will see two really nice overlooks, worth a stop for a few minutes, westbound side I didnt like as much.
In Newport News, you can take the turn off 64 to 664 towards suffolk and Chesapeake, follow it back to 64 west and then take the US rt 168 South exit, follow the signs to the OBX.
If you want a stop along the way, Newport News Park is right next to the Fort Eustis Blvd exit. Great park and easy in and out. This is about 2.5 - 3 hrs from the OBX area if no traffic.
Fuel and food is reasonably easy.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the confirmation folks. I did street view a couple places on 64 and it looks like a nice drive. Are gas and food choices decent?
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Your route choice is correct, try to avoid both Richmond and Hampton Roads on a weekday if possible. The bridge/tunnel request you close your propane before entering.

take 295 around richmond and no big issue, assuming no wrecks,etc.
I usually hit I-95 NB at about 9:00 am and go right through.
bumpy

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Your route choice is correct, try to avoid both Richmond and Hampton Roads on a weekday if possible. The bridge/tunnel request you close your propane before entering.