cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SC to Maine, our first long trip

SCADAMAN29325
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had our camper since Oct last year and have been the SC State Parks, BTW they are fantastic!

We are planning to leave around April to see our son who lives near Hershey, PA and then onto my SIL near Buffalo, NY. After that we are thinking about going up to.

There's a lot to plan and using the RV Life trip planner.

I've been searching for the top attractions in each state, but that's overwhelming. So for those that know, what are some "must see" locations along the way? I'd like it to be those stops that will forever live in my mind, not just something to check off the list.

What are some ideas for Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire...

Thanks! Phil
THANKS! Phil and LuAnn
1st timers, brought it home 2022-10-19.
1994 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye
M-T31-Ford-460, 1994 Ford E350
I may not know what I am doing, but I am having fun doing it!
7 REPLIES 7

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
QCMan wrote:
Personally, I would not spend a penny in New York but Acadia National Park in Maine is a must see. PA has some fantastic railroad museums. If you are planning on passing thru Baltimore be advised that the tunnel does not allow anything carrying propane so you need to avoid it. Good luck on your trip.

Obviously you have never spent any time in the BEAUTIFUL Adirondack Park, 6 million acres of both public and private land. Some of the best hiking and paddling in the USA.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely Acadia in Maine. The Camden/Boothbay area is very quaint. Good restaurants, shops, lots of activities like sailing. White Mountains in NH are beautiful. Portsmouth, NH is on the water. Again, restaurants, shops and activities. Where you should go depends on what you like to do and what time of year you will be up this way.

WARNING: Campgrounds book up fast in New England. It's a short season with lots of people competing for sites. If you are visiting during shoulder seasons then booking in advance isn't as necessary. If you are coming hear during peak season then you may have difficulty finding sites.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

SCADAMAN29325
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the input.

I'm retired and have ne timeline to follow.
THANKS! Phil and LuAnn
1st timers, brought it home 2022-10-19.
1994 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye
M-T31-Ford-460, 1994 Ford E350
I may not know what I am doing, but I am having fun doing it!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
How much time do you have, ie: are you still working or retired, you're looking at a lot of driving, I mean Hershey is good for 2 days max, especially if you have kids, While near Buffalo, try Niagara Falls, (if you haven't already been to), which is one of the few things in NY I would go to, (even though we lived in NY for 38 years), when heading to Vt, try to take a more scenic Rte than the NY State Thruway, the tolls will break the bank.
There are a lot of things to see in VT and NH, all depends on what you want to do.
As far as Maine, as QCman said, Acadia National Park/ Bar Harbor area is Awesome, Plenty of Campgrounds around the area, from full hookup private parks to No hookup CG's in the park, and Check out Schoodic Point Area and CG.
Then there are the Camden, Rockland, Boothbay Harbor areas, they all have Lobster Fests / Clambakes , not sure about your timing though.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kind of depends on how much urban areas you can stand, but, since you are going to Hershey be sure and take that bus tour. Its worth the money and the time. Buy your candy at Wal Mart as its cheaper than at their own factory store.

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like fun. Just a word of advice. The end of April many campgrounds may not be open up north yet. We have had two feet of snow in late April before. Start checking opening dates at campgrounds and plan accordingly.
al

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Personally, I would not spend a penny in New York but Acadia National Park in Maine is a must see. PA has some fantastic railroad museums. If you are planning on passing thru Baltimore be advised that the tunnel does not allow anything carrying propane so you need to avoid it. Good luck on your trip.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member