cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seattle, WA to Moab, Utah

Jessie2F
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to tow our 25 foot TT on a trip from Seattle, WA to Moab, Utah and would appreciate any suggestions on the best route(s) that are not all simply freeway driving and sites that would be worth visiting on the way. If there are recommendations on RV parks for that trip, that would also be gratefully accepted.

Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you got a lot of advise. We are heading that way this fall depending on the weather. but plan to take 95 to 395 and then across Nevada on Hwy 50.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Utah has spent a lot of money on I-15 thru the SLC area. It is now 6 lanes in places, and the traffic at afternoon rush hour was traveling 70 MPH in the left two lanes, 60-65 in all other lanes.
Left two lanes are truck thru traffic. I run the second lane from the right, at 65 because the highway improvements start at Ogden south.

Getting thru SLC area is not a problem any more.

Well, not always. If there is an accident or construction (and there is always at least some construction, somewhere in the area), traffic can back up to a stop. There is currently construction around Ogden with narrow, uneven lanes, so not exactly a joy to tow through, but it's manageable. Haven't tried the alternate routes, but I think I would concur that, despite the traffic, I-15 is still the way to go thru the SLC area. But definitely avoid rush hour!!!

I second the mention of Village of Trees. Good RV park, convenient to the interstate (there may still be some construction in that area - haven't been in a while), lots of grass, a welcome change from gravel. 🙂
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom and Barb, that is useful info about SLC -- we had planned to avoid the area because of the endless construction, but it sounds like that's all done! Great news.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

olburro
Explorer
Explorer
Just made that trip, but I used the most direct route. I recommend traversing I84 from Exit 1 in Idaho to Tremonton in Utah in the morning to avoid severe winds in the PM. If you stay at Village of Trees RV park in Idaho, you are close for a morning departure.

Also, If you are going through Salt Lake City, be aware that there is approximately 100 miles of city traffic from Brigham City to Provo. It is best to avoid rush hours.

Don't forget to stop in Green River, Utah for their outstanding melons of all types.
Olburro
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C
2002 Nissan Pathfinder w/Remco driveshaft disconnect & SMI towbrake

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Watch your fuel gauge!
Great scenery down US 93.
Better choice then the interstates.
Camping area behind the rest area north of Ely. Gravel road to area about 1/4 mile off highway. Non-designated, no hook ups and very quiet.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Jessie2F
Explorer
Explorer
We are now thinking of taking the US 93 from Twin Falls down to Ely and then US50, the I70 and the US191 down to Moab rather than going to Ogden and SLC and down from there to Moab. Any thoughts on that part of the route?

Thanks.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Second thoughts.
If you don't like traffic and freeways, try crossing at Osoyoos, and use 97 south, to I-82 avoid Seattle altogether.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We spend the first night from Oak Harbor, at a campground on the snake river 1 mile off I-84 at the 201 intersection called "Cat fish Junction" it is a good sam park. That's a long day from Oak Harbor 5 AM to 6-PM.
But is better than trying the Boise / Caldwell traffic at rush hour. when I-84 becomes a parking lot
We do this trip once a year, and just got home in June.

Keep in mind that I-84 south of Pendleton to La-Grand is mostly 6 to 8% up grade, It's a long pull and you'll be coping with very slow trucks.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Jessie2F wrote:
Seems like we will need to use more freeways than I had hoped in order to access RV parks on our trip. This is what we have planned so far:
Day 1: from the U.S. border at Blaine, take I-5, 2, 203 and I-90 to Yakima, WA
Day 2: 82/84 to Caldwell, ID
Day 3: 84 to Ogden, UT
Day 4: 84/80, 189,89,6, and 191 to Moab, UT. We are thinking this route might be easier than taking the 15 straight through SLC. Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks again for any input that is offered.

Utah has spent a lot of money on I-15 thru the SLC area. It is now 6 lanes in places, and the traffic at afternoon rush hour was traveling 70 MPH in the left two lanes, 60-65 in all other lanes.
Left two lanes are truck thru traffic. I run the second lane from the right, at 65 because the highway improvements start at Ogden south.

Getting thru SLC area is not a problem any more.

Using 80/189 to Provo doesn't get you out of traffic, as much as I-15 to Spanish Fork and 6/89 to Moab.
We've done it both ways, and found it easier / quicker on I-15 and a whole lot less nerve racking.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I-90 to Ellensburg, WA is good. At Ellensburg you could take WA 821 down the Yakima River canyon. There is a couple very nice BLM campgounds. No hook ups.
Going to Lewiston area there is state parks and some commercial campgrounds in the area.
US 95 has numerous commercial campgrounds
Sounds like you want to state on the interstates!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Jessie2F
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like we will need to use more freeways than I had hoped in order to access RV parks on our trip. This is what we have planned so far:
Day 1: from the U.S. border at Blaine, take I-5, 2, 203 and I-90 to Yakima, WA
Day 2: 82/84 to Caldwell, ID
Day 3: 84 to Ogden, UT
Day 4: 84/80, 189,89,6, and 191 to Moab, UT. We are thinking this route might be easier than taking the 15 straight through SLC. Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks again for any input that is offered.

Jessie2F
Explorer
Explorer
akrv - we will be crossing from BC into the U.S. at the Blaine crossing on Oct 21st.

paulj - we did consider US93 south the Ely and then taking US50 but couldn't seem to find any RV parks on that route after leaving Wells and until arriving around Provo.

Greatly appreciate all of the suggestions that have been offered.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
US 6/191 from Provo is the most logical deviation from a strict freeway route.

One time I left I15 at Ogden, took I84/80 into the mountains, and then US32/35 across the south west side of them to Duchesene, and US191 south. This had more passes, and some nice fall Aspen colors.

I've driven the US12/ US95 route through Lewiston to Boise, as part of an Idaho trip, It's nice, but I'm not sure I'd use it as an alternative to I84 across NE Oregon. That part of 84 is somewhat mountainous and scenic. It's the ID part of 84 that tends to be boring. Boise to Twin Falls crosses a rather flat and dry Snake River plain. 84 crossing into Utah is a higher broad crossing, potentially windy.

You could also bypass Salt Lake City by taking US93 south at Twin Falls, as far as US50.

Look at map with good terrain information. That shows you how the freeways tend to stay in the valleys and plains between the mountains. With the exception of major passes across the Cascades and Rockies (I90), and some what lower Blues in NE Oregon. NE Utah is also high, which is great if you are skiing, less so if you are driving a big RV.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
But 90,82,84 and 15 are!
Spanish Fork US 6 is a nice route!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow