cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shanksville, Pa.

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip for 2018. We would like to be in Shanksville on 911. Traveling from Alabama, we have about 10 days. Suggestions for campgrounds would be great. Along the way we plan on visiting Harpers Ferry and coming south stopping by The New River Gorge in W.V.
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"
5 REPLIES 5

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are you looking for in amenities?

I live 30 miles west of Shanksville and camp often near there.

Post what you're looking for or expecting, and I'll give you some recommendations.Some of those places in the Yelp link someone posted are absolute garbage dumps. You have lots of options in the area depending on how close to the Memorial you want to be.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
What's your style of camping? Boondocking or full hookups? Lots of onsite activities for kids with a pool, or woods and clean within driving distance of activities?

We're not far from there and travel past it regularly and camp in the area a couple times a year.

WARNING: Avoid Rt 30 from Breezewood East. VERY STEEP and windy road there until you get further east.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Top 10 CG's near Shanksville according to Yelp

Rt 19 near the gorge is covered with signage advertising CG's.

Slow down coming through Summersville...I travel that road on a regular basis... locals Patrol it pretty hard

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Hickory Hollow just south of Somerset PA is fairly close to Shanksville. We stayed there for a few days because we wanted to tour Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water. Not a bad place and reasonably priced.

Just look carefully at the terrain coming from the south. A lot of winding hilly roads.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few state parks in the area like Shawnee and Keystone. Most Pa State Parks have electric hookups and some have full hookups. Many have new bath houses,swimming etc.