cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solo camping Yellowstone and ? in September

Fritz_H
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to Yellowstone in September. First solo trip outside western WA since my wife passed 3 years ago and damned if I can come up with many good ideas myself. Have 5 nights reserved at Fishing Bridge, but not sure where to go after. This will be my 4th or 5th Yellowstone/Teton trip and I have up to two weeks to kill.

Trying to decide if I go south through the Tetons after Fishing Bridge closes on the 16th or if I go north through Red Lodge and maybe to Poulson.

Any ideas for an introvert on the road alone?
Randy
Olympia, WA
2014 Dutchmen Denali 2371RB
pulled by a 2008 Ford F250 XLT Supercab
2007 Shelby GT
1985 VW Vanagon GL
12 REPLIES 12

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
While your in West Yellowstone, go to Campfire Lodge and Resort have the best breakfast west of the Mississippi.

Fritz_H
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
Glacier is on fire right now. This may not be the best time to go there.

True...I'm in West Yellowstone right now, YNP for the next week. After that, who knows?
Randy
Olympia, WA
2007 Shelby GT
1985 VW Vanagon GL

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Glacier is on fire right now. This may not be the best time to go there.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

MargueritaM
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for tips along the way, we were amazed at finding Craters of the Moon in Idaho, off Rte 26 northeast of Twin Falls - https://www.nps.gov/crmo/index.htm
2000 31' Tioga SL
Anchorage, Alaska
My Personal Website

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fritz_H wrote:
jolooote wrote:
Do a circle trip. Have you seen the beautiful waterfalls between Wa. & Or. along the Columbia river gorge? Beautiful. Have you seen Mt. St. Helens & Mt. Reiner? Have you seen Glacier Nat'l Park?

Well, I see Mt. Rainier almost every day from one part of town or another ๐Ÿ˜‰ I highly recommend Rainier, St. Helens, and the gorge. I may hit Glacier on the way home.
One small note, Going to the Sun Road in Glacier normally closes sometime around Mid September, +/- depending on weather.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
City of Rocks is pretty neat; Castle Rock SP (ID) has some nice sites with electric & water. The road into City of Rocks is all packed-down dirt; slippery when wet!!

Haven't been there, but there are some SPs in Montana near Dillon that you can camp at. Dry camping, I believe, or Southside RV Park in Dillon would make a decent base camp to visit them.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Fritz_H
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
Do a circle trip. Have you seen the beautiful waterfalls between Wa. & Or. along the Columbia river gorge? Beautiful. Have you seen Mt. St. Helens & Mt. Reiner? Have you seen Glacier Nat'l Park?

Well, I see Mt. Rainier almost every day from one part of town or another ๐Ÿ˜‰ I highly recommend Rainier, St. Helens, and the gorge. I may hit Glacier on the way home.
Randy
Olympia, WA
2007 Shelby GT
1985 VW Vanagon GL

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a more isolated area, youi might really enjoy City of Rocks National Preserve.
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Start out at Glacier and work your way south. Maybe even work in the Black Hills and Badlands.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
Jackson's Hole is a good place to be in September. We like Gros Ventre campground down on the south end of Teton Park...water and dump, and some elec sites.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Have you been to Cody yet? The Buffalo Bill museum is really worth a visit.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H