cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TelCel Phones

Talleyho69
This is current, this is today, this is Zihuatanejo at a TelCel storefront.

He has to go to the US for 47 hours. I'm not going. First time apart in more years than we can count, we are like that. We have one phone that we put 100p per month on, no plan.

We really want to talk while he is gone (it's a LONG time!!) So we went out today to buy a phone, a SIM card and a plan for the phone we have.

Bought the phone for 299. Yes, it even texts, don't know if it has wifi. The 29p chip came with 5 days of a plan that is unlimited calling to Canada, Mexico and the US. Bought him a 17 day unlimited plan for the phone we had for 50p. Grand total, 379 pesos.

So, phones here are CHEAP!!! Two phones, unlimited calling for the timeframe we need and we'll use them ridiculously. When he has to return for the funeral whenever, we'll buy the two plans again and be covered.

Why would anyone buy the SIM care on Amazon when you can literally buy it anywhere once you cross the border? What a great country!
15 REPLIES 15

Talleyho69
OK, an update.

He has to go back for a final 47 hours, probably either of our last visit to the US!!

Just bought 7 days unlimited calling to/from the US, Canada and Mexico for 50p each phone. Could have bought 3 days for less, but that would have been cutting it too close.

What a deal-we both had great service and to be able to talk to each other for 100p. LOVE TelCel!!

Talleyho69
Yes, at least now. The SIM card came with 5 days of totally unlimited calls. But again, we only paid 50p for 17 days of unlimited calls for the phone we already had.

It's all ridiculously inexpensive and works well.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Do all Telcel SIM cards offer unlimited calls (US & Mexico)for a specific time period or was that specific to the card you bought?

Talleyho69
No kidding! That's great customer service.

I had the same thing with our LG Inverter Microwave here. Not sold in the US, but sent me a fully translated direction manual on line.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I emailed Kempler & Strauss a little more than a week ago. Last Monday a customer service person wrote back and explained that the phone was only sold in Mexico and all instructions were in Spanish - but he offered to have his staff translate it into English - which arrived today - all 70 pages.
That was very kind for them to do this for me.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of info for the Hempler Strauss phone on the internet but it appears that all the videos and info is in Spanish. You could use Google Translate to help.

It also appears that Walmart sells these phones and I am sure just about any cell phone salesperson from any brand would be more than willing to help you.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
Hope it works. He also said to think of the second row left button as green and the right one as red. Mine are colored, but that didn't mean anything to me!

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks!

Talleyho69
My sweetie says (who couldn't figure out how to call me here until I looked it up) "The top 4 buttons are the important ones. Right side, second one down from the top turns your phone on and off. Dial your number. Press the second from the top left button and it sends. To end it, press the second from the top right button. To answer (and I kept forgetting this) press the second from the top on the left."

All of this is assuming it's like the one we bought for me last week.

You may need a new SIM card, they are usually good for a year, but they only cost 29p.

Good Luck!

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Don't laugh, I'm a phone Luddite - even a simple phone. I bought a basic Kempler & Strauss 2.4 phone at an OXXO. A kind woman helped me with a SIM card and set the phone up for me in Saltillo. I can't find any instructions or a manual online and can't figure out how to use the darned phone - like how to make a call. That was a year ago and I'm getting ready for another trip in Mexico and would like to know how to use it - just for emergency calls.
Here in the US I have a flip phone and can use it, but this Kempler & Strauss doesn't even have a red and green send / end button.

Can anyone find any information online and help?

Talleyho69
At least within the same area code, we call cell to cell without dialing anything extra, just the 10 numbers.

Another thing I had to look up was how to dial a US 800 or other toll free numbers. Once you have the codes, it works well.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Dialing all those numbers will change sometime this year. To call another cell within Mexico you have to dial 044. That too will change.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
The phones worked perfectly with just one glitch: We didn't know that for him to call back to Mexico on his Mexican phone he had to dial +52 and 1. I finally looked it up and it worked beautifully. All I had to dial was his phone number with the area code. Very good reception, it was worth the 379 pesos for the 46 hours he was gone.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Amiga telcel. I usually get the 200 peso refill. If I plan on using more data I get the 200 peso
But be aware that Telcel partners with dome horrible companies in the USA
If you are in a big city it is fine
We are in Quartzsite and it does not get any internet

My smartphone was close around 1200 pesos
Not the best
When I have some time will step up to a brand name. Still cheap.
Moisheh