cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tell me about the 101 along the coast of Oregon

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Starting to plan a month long trip in September to the west coast. Tell me how the drive is from Astoria down the coast. Will be driving a 42' Winnebago and Jeep toad.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
24 REPLIES 24

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I would make two comments...you are starting from the north...how are you getting to that point?

And Brookings, Oregon...last of the Oregon outposts before descending into California debauchery. The city owned campground..down by the USCG station offers the best beach side camping. If you are going to do it..reserve a site in the outer..right at road/beach side. It truly is one of THE best campsites.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Skyfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful trip! Stop at the Sea Lion Caves north of Florence. When you get towards Brookings, there are pullouts that are outstanding. Camp on the ocean there, but make your reservations now. Leave your rig and drive south towards Crescent City and jog over to see Redwoods where they filmed the Ewok scene in Return of the Jedi. Locals can tell you where the hikes are.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks again for your help. Would you believe that the person next to us in Wickenburg owns a RV park in Astoria. He has been very helpful. As someone suggested he said use Astoria as a base and day trip.
2018 Rubicon
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Try Ecola Beach Park just outside of Cannon Beach. Very camera worthy. Just the Jeep though.

I would not recommend the RV park right in Cannon Beach. Designed for small trailers and sites are very close to each other.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Try Ecola Beach Park just outside of Cannon Beach. Very camera worthy. Just the Jeep though.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Sept is our favorite time to go to the Oregon coast. We are native Oregonians and have been to the coast many times. Sept weather is great. You're going the best way in your drive. North to south. All the viewpoints are on the right hand side so it makes for easy in and out. I don't think there's a bad park or CG on the coast. Some just better but none bad. You will have zero issue with you combo.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The weather is chilly. We did Astoria, Lincoln City, Coos Bay, then Cresent City this past August and the high temp rarely got above 65. We had some 'sea fog days' that did not allow for much beach sight seeing, but luckily no rain. Allow extra time for rainy or foggy days. The road is a little beat up in some places, but overall not bad. The road is pretty slow going time wise in most places. Feel very fortunate that our travels were able to include the Oregon coast. I would recommend it to anyone.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Plan your trip accordingly. First stop should be FtStevens state park. Explore the area and move maybe 50-60 miles, park and repeat. The coast is a wonderful place for exploring, but take your time. And GET RESERVATIONS now!

X2 to reservations!
Here is a link to the Oregon State Parks Guide
Oregon State Parks Guide
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest thing to do is to pick a place to stay near Astoria; then one midway down the coast and another on the southern end. Then it's easy to cover the whole coast with day trips.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Just drove this last October and it goes from flat to mountain twisty. Most towns are small, and all seem to have either a Fred Meyer or WalMart right on the highway with easy access. Most of the road is two lane but with lots of passing lanes. State parks are well placed so you can drive a few miles or lot of miles. Beautiful views, lots of places to pull over and stop and take in the sights. This isn't a road to hurry thru, but one to enjoy and relax and take your time; check out the lighthouses, walk along the beaches, stop at the quaint towns, and don't miss out on the ice cream at Tillamock

Steve_83406
Explorer
Explorer
If you have time... the mouth of the Columbia River has had a military presence since the Civil War. There are three forts that guarded the mouth of the river, Fort Stevens, Fort Columbia, and Fort Canby. Stevens has the most interpretive military equipment, Columbia preserves the wooden buildings associated with military installations, and Canby was left to go more back to nature. But, Canby houses the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center and two lighthouses (Cape Disappointment and North Head). Stevens has the wreck of the Peter Iredale out on the beach. Astoria is an arts-oriented river town, lots of galleries, brew pubs, restaurants, and the Liberty Theater (that claims Clark Gable as an early actor prior to his movie career).

As you move south down the coast, there are a few climbs and curves that will slow you down. Please watch for cyclists, September is a busy month for bicycle touring on the coast and they also go the north to south route. As you climb up and around Neahkahnie Mountain (and it's a clear day), be sure to pull off and take in the vista. If you are so inclined, you can climb the mountain and the views from the summit are impressive.

Of course, stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Yes, it has become a tourist trap, but the ice cream... sehr gut! They have RV parking. The 3-cape scenic loop was closed due to a landslide that they don't seem a hurry to open, but a drive out to Cape Lookout State Park for a night or two is very nice. If you drive up and over the cape, you can stop and hike to the end of the cape. There are remnants of a B-17 that crashed out there in WWII. If you like air museums, the Tillamook Air Museum is housed in a WWII blimp hanger that sits at the Tillamook Naval Air Station. The collection isn't as impressive as it once was as part of it was moved to Madras, OR a year or two ago. However, it's still fun to stand in the doorway and see just how big the building is.

I see someone has mentioned Newport... don't forget the Hatfield Marine Sciences Center, the original Mo's Clam Chowder house, and, (IMHO, the highlight of Newport) the Rogue Brewery World Headquarters.

People mention the Oregon State Parks - my favorites; Ft. Stevens (Astoria area south to Seaside), Nehalem Bay (Garibaldi up to Seaside), Cape Lookout (Tillamook area), Devil's Lake (Lincoln City) Beverly Beach (Depot Bay to Newport). Honeyman is a nice park south of Florence, OR.

I better shut up, my post is getting too long... have fun.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for your tips. It looks like I've got some homework before we can do this right. I did find a mile by mile on line guide to the 101 in Oregon. Kind of overwhelmed right now with all the possibilities.
2018 Rubicon
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
fly-swatter wrote:
We did that trip a few years ago and used Cape Lookout, Carl G. Washburne and Harris Beach State Parks as our home base, exploring about an hour's drive each direction from each park. Was a great trip.

This is very good advise.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
We did that trip a few years ago and used Cape Lookout, Carl G. Washburne and Harris Beach State Parks as our home base, exploring about an hour's drive each direction from each park. Was a great trip.
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS