cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas Route

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on going to the Hill Country in a couple of weeks.

To avoid the interstates and Dallas I would like to go west of Ft. Worth then take hwy. 281 to 67 to 16 down to Kerrville.

Any info on how these roads are? Good 2 lane or to be avoided?

Thanks
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)
10 REPLIES 10

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Follow up:

On the way down we ended up turning off of 75 at Sherman over to Gainsville, then took Hwy. 51 south to I-20 at Weatherford. Took I-20 west to 16. both 51 and 16 were pretty good 2 lane roads (mostly 70 MPH). They were doing bridge work in Llano which held us up about 5 minutes.

Coming back we 281 north from Johnson City to I-20. The only roadwork was about 300 yards of shoulder work. No problem. Took 51 back to Gainsville. Driving time was the same either way within a couple of minutes.

Thanks for all of the input.
2016 3500 Duramax

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Watch for deer.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
We did TX 16 from/to Fredericksburg to I believe I20 and up to Oklahoma. A very good road, and a very beautiful drive. Went on a weekend and hardly any vehicles.
Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
Bipeflier wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
You could also stay on 281 to Johnson City and then 290 over to 16 in Fredericksburg. That s all very good highway.

Thanks all. This looks like what we will do.

Good choice. Safe travels!!

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
You could also stay on 281 to Johnson City and then 290 over to 16 in Fredericksburg. That s all very good highway.

Thanks all. This looks like what we will do.
2016 3500 Duramax

BrentB
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
Parts of 281 are under construction and may hold you up for 15 to 20 minutes on a weekday when they run one way traffic for a couple of miles. Sadly I don't remember if the one way section is before or after Stephenville.

Looks like it's before and after!

drivetexas.org

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
BBtex wrote:

Agree. This is the way we normally go.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Parts of 281 are under construction and may hold you up for 15 to 20 minutes on a weekday when they run one way traffic for a couple of miles. Sadly I don't remember if the one way section is before or after Stephenville.
Currently Between RVs

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I use US 281 to avoid Austin. Great 2 lane federal highway with some 4 lane divided sections from the Okla border to the Mexican border. A bit of local traffic near Marble Falls and crossing San Antonio.

US 67 is a good 2 lane with a few non-divided four lane stretches once past Dallas all the way to the Mexican border.

TX-16 is a good route. A bit hilly and curvy, but nothing to bother an RV driver.

Texas doesn’t have towns with stop lights every 10 miles like the east coast. Usually 20-40 miles between stop lights.

You’ve selected a good route. Not the fastest? But a good easy drive. You might want to pullover and let traffic pass you if several stack-up behind you. There are long sections without passing lanes.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT