cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas to Portland, ME

kridg
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for suggestions in planning a route from central Texas to Portland, Me. I would like to avoid large cities and too many toll roads. Our schedule allows us 5 days to get there.
Thanks
32 REPLIES 32

kridg
Explorer
Explorer
All of the suggestions are so helpful. As many have said there are have many different ways to get there. I would love to take the slow, more scenic routes but as alfredmay said we are limited on time. Part of the problem is breaking up the days and finding good one night stops. I have several maps saved with various stops and routes. I am trying to follow the advice given here of avoiding certain highway sections. Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe,

I have used route 2 in VT and NH. It is very scenic, but 2 lanes and very slow with grades. It is also way out of the way.

Remember this trip is over 2000 in 5 days. She really cannot add too much more in the way of miles.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I would rank avoiding heavy congestion over tolls and grades.

I'd like to say that's easy, but it's not. You can decrease your chances of heavy traffic by avoiding rush hour on any major highway, but all bets are off if somebody does something stupid (which is daily). IMHO you need to develop the mindset that traffic up here is unavoidable. However, that said I think there might be a route through VT & NH (Route 2 I think) that may be slower but with less traffic. Someone else can probably help on that one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
KOA in Freeport would allow you to get to Windham part way on 95 and then local roads to Windham and avoid Portland. Saco was better if your meeting was in Portland but lots of rush hour traffic thru Portland to get to a morning meeting. LL Bean is open 24/7 in Freeport. Some nice little eateries nearby.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

kridg
Explorer
Explorer
I would rank avoiding heavy congestion over tolls and grades. We had overheated brakes on Washington DC loop once due to construction and traffic and it wasn't even rush hour. Don't want to do that again.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
"I prefer I78 from just north of Harrisburg to 287 to 87 to 84 or 90."

Nothing wrong with the route above, I would have mentioned it myself but you said you wanted to avoid tolls. Both I-87 (NY Thruway) and I-90 (Mass Pike) are toll roads.

There are many ways to get to your destination, none of them are free, empty of traffic or without grades and summer construction.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Poland Spring is about 18 miles away. Family N Friends is in Standish, ME, about 12 miles from Windham. Have never stayed at Family N Friends but like Poland Spring.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

kridg
Explorer
Explorer
We have a seminar in Windham which is north west of Portland. Would like something with easy/quick access to that. Doesn't seem to be much around there. Google shows the drive from edge of Portland at 30+ Miles.

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Wassamki Springs RV Park in Saco is the closest place to Portland just a few miles south. I have not stayed there as we stay further north in Booth Bay. Not much to choose from right in the metro Portland vicinity. Freeport to the north and Orchard Beach to the south are about half an hour away. Saco is just minutes south from Portland, the Maine Mall, and Jetport.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer I78 from just north of Harrisburg to 287 to 87 to 84 or 90.

This is the route we take if we go south and take 87/84/90. Going straight up to 90 on 87 is a little longer but less stressful. In all honesty, though, if you want to avoid wild and crazy drivers the northeast isn't the place for you! We like Poland Spring campground, but it's about 35 miles outside the city, and the last time we were there, not completely big rig friendly. However, they were working on upgrading some sites near the main road to allow for some larger units. We were able to get our Endura in there without much difficulty.

Douglas Adams

kridg
Explorer
Explorer
BillMFl wrote:
I don't bother with an easy pass and I go to Maine and Back every year. There are only a few tolls on the route that most people suggested. I personally don't take I81 north of Harrisburg Pa because of step grades and rough roads. And 84 thru Conn is dead stop traffic during rush hours and bridges with expansion gaps that will rattle your fillings. I prefer I78 from just north of Harrisburg to 287 to 87 to 84 or 90. You can skip the Boston area traffic by taking 91 to Brattleboro and 9 to Concord NH the pick up 101 from Manchester to 95 just south of Portsmouth NH. Sounds complicated but its not. Once you get to Conn, 84 to 90 to 495 is mostly ugly scenery, bumpy pavement and heavy traffic, a total nightmare during rush hour if you hit it then. From Danbury to Hartford will be stop and go traffic during rush hours. Same with 495 until you get up to 95 north of Salisbury. Timing is everything on the 84/495 route and although these two roads are labeled as interstates they are nothing like the high speed limited access interstates out west. There are constant merge and exit lanes and wild and crazy drivers cutting back and forth. You will probably use your brakes more on this day than the rest of your trip. Once you are in New Hampshire 95 is wide, lots of lanes and new pavement all the way to Portland. In Portland try De Millos seafood in the old port area on the waterfront. They have the best musscles ever and lobster too of course. The Old Port area on the waterfront is historic and quaint. Fun place to stroll down the old brick alleys with their shops and pubs. We try to get there 3 or 4 times every summer.

Thanks for good information. I'd rather see pretty scenery and avoid wild &a crazy drivers. Do you have suggestions for RV site in Portland?

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
I don't bother with an easy pass and I go to Maine and Back every year. There are only a few tolls on the route that most people suggested. I personally don't take I81 north of Harrisburg Pa because of step grades and rough roads. And 84 thru Conn is dead stop traffic during rush hours and bridges with expansion gaps that will rattle your fillings. I prefer I78 from just north of Harrisburg to 287 to 87 to 84 or 90. You can skip the Boston area traffic by taking 91 to Brattleboro and 9 to Concord NH the pick up 101 from Manchester to 95 just south of Portsmouth NH. Sounds complicated but its not. Once you get to Conn, 84 to 90 to 495 is mostly ugly scenery, bumpy pavement and heavy traffic, a total nightmare during rush hour if you hit it then. From Danbury to Hartford will be stop and go traffic during rush hours. Same with 495 until you get up to 95 north of Salisbury. Timing is everything on the 84/495 route and although these two roads are labeled as interstates they are nothing like the high speed limited access interstates out west. There are constant merge and exit lanes and wild and crazy drivers cutting back and forth. You will probably use your brakes more on this day than the rest of your trip. Once you are in New Hampshire 95 is wide, lots of lanes and new pavement all the way to Portland. In Portland try De Millos seafood in the old port area on the waterfront. They have the best musscles ever and lobster too of course. The Old Port area on the waterfront is historic and quaint. Fun place to stroll down the old brick alleys with their shops and pubs. We try to get there 3 or 4 times every summer.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
That's good info. I'm pretty sure I paid $20 each for my transponders in RI but not sure. From seeing that some states charge maintenance fees, I may just keep my account as it is when I move.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
An EZpass transponder can be purchased online and mailed to you. Here are 2 links:
New Hampshire EZpass At the time you establish your E-ZPass account, you must purchase your E-ZPass transponders at the following rates:
Interior Transponder - $8.90 or External Transponder - $15.19

Maine EZpass
Int. Windshield Tag $10 + applicable sales tax

Neither state charges a monthly fee but does require putting funds into the account with a credit card.

You may want to see which state has the lowest price for the transponder.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club