cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Things changing for the better

tahoenow
Explorer
Explorer
Way back in 2005 and 2006 my wife and I traveled to just about every place in Mexico that one would want to go and reported on it here in what I am told was the longest thread ever at this board with lots of contributors. 15,000 miles and 30 states later (of the 32) we settled on Paamul in the Yucatan as our winter home.

We've seen the Mexico RV travel scene go from robust to virtually nothing following the emergence of the cartel scare. Paamul continued to fill up with those staying for months at a time but the short term travelers disappeared. I'm happy to report that this has changed and we are now seeing a good number of travelers in their rigs and it is early in the season.

What is interesting to us is that we have never seen any evidence of organized crime and we are now in our tenth season here. We don't know anyone in Paamul - about 400 people at peak - who have seen any of the same and most of them drive back and forth twice every year. The media is powerful and the perceptions were of rampant criminality. I can assure you that is not true and if you have been putting off your dreams it's time to fire up the rig and go for the trip of a lifetime. You won't regret it.

Oh, one last word. On the killings of American "tourists" that have rarely but occasionally occurred, remember that every drug dealing American who comes down here comes down as a "tourist" and the grieving family is unlikely to say how much they miss their drug dealing son. Not to say that an occasional innocent has not been harmed but we see that in California on a daily basis.

Happy travels and an adventurous New Year!
Kevin
81 REPLIES 81

Thetravelingcoo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, to you both. I'll try an chime in more, your quite a welcoming group. An I do love hearing about your all's experiences. So keep'm coming!

Safe travels!

Thetravelingcooler - Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends. - Maya Angelou

tahoenow
Explorer
Explorer
to Thetravelingcooler - please don't stop lurking here! You really brighten up the neighborhood.
Kevin

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Now that was refreshing! Thanks for posting.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Thetravelingcoo
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy folks!

I lurk about an read your forum on Mexico often, an thought I'd chime in for a moment. First..to the rude fella, Ain't no reason to be like that. I've been lurking around this forum since I found it(lurked for many years, just decided to be vocal last year). Not once did I ever get the feeling he was promoting his own business. He's always provided awesome info in my opinion.

Now mind you, I don't plan to travel to Mexico anytime soon. Not cause of some silly fear of being robbed, killed, etc, but cause as a younger fella who runs a business, I don't got the time at the moment. I can assure you tho, I won't hesitate to go when I have the time, an ability to do so. Having lived in Tucson, for many years I always regretted the fact I never got to visit. So someday I will. So..kindly don't lump me in with the fear mongers. ๐Ÿ˜‰

One other thing, I hear where you all are coming from with being annoyed with these folks coming here an slamming a place you live, visit, etc. Do your self a favor tho, an before getting riled up, an realize some of these folks just come here to troll you, and get your dander up. If ya don't feed'm, they won't last around these parts long. I'm sure ya'll know this, but hey..figured I'd say it anyhow.

There is crime everywhere. I live on a sandbar off the coast of NC, an it's even here folks. Once you let fear rule your life, or stop you from doing things..you've let the criminals win. That's no kind of life for me. If you let fear or the scary news media get to you, your missing out on some damn fine things in life. Now mind you, one has to be comfortable where they go, an if your not so be it, but why ruin it for the rest of us?

Last but not lest..to Russ, Moisheh, qta, MW, Briansue, Kevin and I'm sure I'm leaving some folks out...I'd like to just say thank you for providing the info you guys do. I for one appreciate it, as I'm sure many others who don't post. So keep up the bang up job.

Sorry for the novel, an thank you for letting me visit your sandbox, mayhaps in the future I'll be down your way, an someone can show a fella, where to find some good Tequila an food. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Or if any of ya ever happen to be near my sandbar, let me know an I'll point you to some of the best seafood you'll ever have. haha!

Stay on the sunny side, an enjoy the ride folks, we only get one shot at it.

Thetravelingcooler - Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor. - Sholom Aleichem

PS. - Please excuse any spelling or grammar errors, I'm an electronic waste recycler, not an English major. I break things for a living, not write. ๐Ÿ˜‰

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Tourist are considered easy prey...rear end vehicle collisions and payouts happen a lot when they see a foreign license plates"

Can't help it, I get limp with laughter after I read some of this stuff.

FACT: If you are going to make a LEFT on an undivided 2-lane non urban highway AND there is a SAFE AND PROPER PLACE for you to pull off the highway onto the right shoulder, you must do so. Wait until all traffic passes THEN make a safe left turn. This is LAW state-by-state in all 31 Mexican states. If such a pull out area exists and folks behind you rear-end you YOU ARE AT FAULT, You pay for all damages and fines. No they are not going to cite a person who did not pull off into a ditch or if there is a curb or dropoff.

Stop and ask a PFP or SSP to read the law chapter and verse out of his big black reglas de transito book.

Once again a quirky law morphs itself into tourism racism. You ought to study the law regarding paralelos in towns and cities, and multi-axle vehicles and no left turns for all vehicles.

Ray552
Explorer
Explorer
I have not as yet visited Mexico to RV. I have however just return from the Yucatan and can say I saw plenty of police, no crime, many helpful friendly people who went out of their way to help my wife after she tripped on the street.

The beaches were very nice and the long term house rental crowed that we talked to seemed to really enjoy it.

Kansas City Mo has a lot of murders most in a relatively small section of the city , most happen between 1 and 4 am. Many happen between people who know each other, involve drugs or excessive alcohol. You figure out what area /times to avoid, stay away from drugs and keep alcohol consumption in moderation when you are out and about. Don't flash cash and don't wear expensive jewelry . Same precautions in Europe, Asia or the Americas.

I hope to be RVing in the Yucatan next winter.

tahoenow
Explorer
Explorer
An update on RVs now in Paa Mul. Most of the good spaces are now occupied - something we haven't seen in several years. There are a number of Class A's and a variety of everything else. I haven't heard any negative reports from their travels. It feels like the old days.
Kevin

Five2o
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled to Los Barriles BC with over 20 other rv's 2 weeks ago. Same old stuff...narrow road but great food/fishing/friends etc. I almost don't like to post good things since I'm worried that rv traffic will increase.

Oh ya...there was a few dangerous incidents getting to San Juanico...the new highway was damaged so we crossed a stream during the detour and I doubt Winnebago's warranty department would approve lol.

tahoenow
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderer96 It's my pleasure. Hope you enjoy the input from many other travelers.
Kevin

Wanderer96
Explorer
Explorer
This is great info! Thank u very much! Im not too worries about gas prices... that's not much different than Southern CA gas prices. Its expensive but such is life... and we cant just let our "brand new to us" RV sit because of gas ๐Ÿ˜‰ hehehehe... I will definitely do some more research at the sources you provided. Thank you Kevin ๐Ÿ™‚

tahoenow
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The cost of an RV ferry trip these days will shiver your timbers.

True. It is expensive - $600 from La Paz - BUT consider you are taking typically two or more people, maybe a dog, your RV and you are seeing Baja in addition to the mainland and then check on air fares for two people, no RV and no dog. It's not for everyone but as one component of a fairly long trip it may make sense for some. It did for us.

Let me add that the major negative to driving Baja is the highway. It is very narrow and with a large rig and larger trucks and buses coming at you....it can be frightening at times and dangerous. For us the rewards are worth the risk.....once. We never like re-tracing our steps - especially on that road - and the ferry to the mainland gets you off that road for the second time and opens up new experiences.
Kevin

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The cost of an RV ferry trip these days will shiver your timbers.

So will the (now) FOUR DOLLAR A GALLON fuel price for Magna, Premium and Diesel. The Magna has a few solitary cents to go before it hits four bucks but what the hell...

tahoenow
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderer96 wrote:
And for a quasi-ignorant question... do u think its safer to cross from California or Texas?

Edited: and by that I mean that my maps are giving me two different ways to get to Chiapas... do u think diagonal across the country from CA or across and down from TX would be better?

Well, there are other considerations. Those would be two entirely different trips. You need to decide whether you want to do the coastal towns (from Cal -Tucson and down) or choose between the central highlands or the gulf coast (from El Paso, Laredo or Brownsville). Strictly our preferences, but we would choose the west coast or central highlands routes over the east coast for places of interest. The central highlands are rich in culture with beautiful Spanish designed colonial cities. The ideal trip would be to go down the west coast and come back up through the central highlands beginning in Oaxaca (the state next to Chiapas) and ultimately exit at Juarez/El Paso. You will see many amazing places along the way.

Another interesting option which we have done is to go down Baja to La Paz and take the ferry (accepts RVs) to Topolobampo on the mainland and continue on down the west coast.

Rather than re-write much of what I have already written, you might want to navigate through this thread to find all of the places mentioned above. RV.net has retained this thread and we are grateful for that.

It was our journal or blog based on six months of travel to many if not most of the places you would be interested in.

on edit: please keep in mind that things will have changed over the years. I believe most of the campgrounds are still operating but some are not and the prices will have changed some. This site - Church & Church Mexican Camping Guide Site along with this message board are your best sources for up to date camping information.
Kevin

Wanderer96
Explorer
Explorer
Ok great thanks!