cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TIP for financed passenger car

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Just double checking... Last I knew financed car owners needed a letter of permission from the title holder to get a TIP. In Maine we do not get a title until the vehicle is paid off. I am used to providing a title - will a letter and a registration suffice?
10 REPLIES 10

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
In BC, you never get tit,le for a vehicle it is held by the governemnet licensing agency permanently. You only have regsitration which is also proof of ownership. You have not issue using registration to get the TIP. If it does not not show a lien holder, it is best to just keep quiet.

Talleyho69
Fortunately, there is a lot of great information on line about how to visit Mexico and South America. Check out the stickies at the top of this forum.

Sometimes we forget that Canada and Mexico are foreign countries. Whenever you visit ANY foreign country it's important to check out the VISA requirements at the very least.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting, good to know! Actually I was not familiar with this whole thing, I would have just driven around down there...

Talleyho69
Actually I have spoken to a number of people with financed or leased vehicles and have heard of no problems getting the letter as long as they prove Mexican Insurance.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
So it says you need a notarized letter of permission from the lienholder, regardless of who holds the title. I can't imagine any bank or finance company would provide such a letter, because I'll bet it's all but impossible for them to repo the car if it's in MX and you stop paying.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Temporary Import Permit...rules here:
TIP
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
In CA the lender holds the title and is listed as a lienholder on the registration.

Generally the lien needs to be settled before you can sell or at the time of sale. Will require payoff or the new owner will need to get the lender approval to take over payments. Best to get a new loan.

What are you trying to do? What purpose does the TIP serve?

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
VA. Is like Maine, we don't get the Title untill the lean is cleared. But I have to agree with Burbman, What's a TIP?
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's a TIP? In NY, the owner gets the title right away, with the finance company listed on the title as the lienholder.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Wm.Elliot wrote:
Just double checking... Last I knew financed car owners needed a letter of permission from the title holder to get a TIP. In Maine we do not get a title until the vehicle is paid off. I am used to providing a title - will a letter and a registration suffice?

I had the letter of permission notarized.