cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel to Guadalajara

infogeek
Explorer
Explorer
I have an opportunity in the coming year to volunteer in Guadalajara for a month or more. I was thinking of taking the RV since I have pets and they enjoy RV travel (as do I), rather than flying and leaving them behind for that length of time.

Other than the insurance/licensing stuff (which I'm already looking into), any tips for going from Laredo to Guadalajara? I also have a friend in Guanajuato that I'd also visit while there.

While I've traveled all over the US, I've never RV'd in Mexico before. Any advice/route recommendations/basic tips welcome.

Thanks.
Jon
13 REPLIES 13

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with you Talleyho69. Even though we live just south of the border we still get a little uneasy when we have to go North of the border. A lot less stress here, slower pace of life (we still work) all in all it was our best decision 13 years ago to move here.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

Talleyho69
It's all a matter of comfort and being smart. Many of the posters on this forum live and/or travel extensively in Mexico or both. Personally, I am very safety conscious wherever we travel, and have had no issues in either the US or Mexico. We do, however, feel more comfortable in Mexico.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled throughout the Atlantic Coast area from the US to Belize and never had any issues and never felt unsafe. We did avoid major cities. But we avoid major cities in the US. Chuck

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
lakeside013104 wrote:
Is it actually 'safe' to travel in Mexico with all the cartels in control and the corruption of government officials?

Seems to me from what I have heard, traveling in Mexico is like playing Russian roulette. You may be fine for a while then life as you know it could drastically change.

We were thinking about going there, but decided not to go after some research.

Lakeside

Your biggest safety concerns will come from those that have never been there and spend too much time reading the news. Chuck

That was helpful, thanks Chuck.

Lakeside

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
Is it actually 'safe' to travel in Mexico with all the cartels in control and the corruption of government officials?

Seems to me from what I have heard, traveling in Mexico is like playing Russian roulette. You may be fine for a while then life as you know it could drastically change.

Lakeside

Your biggest safety concerns will come from those that have never been there and spend too much time reading the news. Chuck

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer

Lakeside

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
HI infogeek. I am associated with a Caravan ocmpany. there are 2 pages on their site that may help you with information on a lot of your concerns. Just filter out the caravan related stuff and there is a lot there that will help out. Laredo to the guadalajara area is not difficult, its about 1.5 days travel.

https://www.mexicocaravans.com/details1.html

and

https://www.mexicocaravans.com/border.html

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing on the TIP as Talleyho states but need the print out of the FMM stamped.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Talleyho69
Good question. When we got our TIP's on line, it was a slap it on the windshield and we were done.

I very quickly read the websites for betting both items on line yesterday, and it sounded like you just had to do a quick check for the FMM.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
You still have to stop at the Banjercito for the inspection and certification of the permits, don't you?

Everything is done by credit/debit card.

Just curious.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
The "Stickies" at the top of this forum will be updated in the next week and not only will include the great information above from rocmoc, but information on Pets, Insurance and Border Crossings.

Keep watching!

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Get your TIP and FMM online at https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/# and https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html# TIP arrives in 11 days or less and can be purchased up to 60 days before you cross. Just place on your windshield and sign the paper back it came on. FMM can be purchased 14 days before crossing and prints out on YOUR printer. You have to stop to show ID and get it stamped. NO money exchanges other than what you pay online. Much easier.

Hwy 54 is a beautiful drive but there are some narrow and steep sections as you near Guadalajara. We did it pulling a 37' fifth wheel with no problems, just don't hurry.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I would use the Colombia Bridge just west of Laredo, Tx. If you are coming down the I-35, before Laredo you take the TX 255 which takes you directly to the bridge crossing.

After crossing, your stay to your right for the Aduana for your TIP and FMM card.

Once approved and inspected, follow the signs to Monterrey/Saltillo and take the perifirico around Monterrey to Saltillo.

You would then have the option of Hwy 57 south via San Luis Potosi, or Hwy 54 through Zacatecas. Both are just about the same distance.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog