cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling in Alaska-some observations

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from two weeks in Alaska. Two words: PLAN AHEAD. The state has been hit hard by COVID because of their tourism-based economy. If you wish to visit an attraction, restaurant or particular store, call first. We had a number of disappointments as websites were not up-to-date and the business was closed, had reduced hours or had gone out of business completely. This was more prevalent in the Fairbanks area than the Anchorage area.

Please note this is also affecting airport services. I know most of you don't travel via plane but be prepared if you do. It was the same at all four airports we were in-Boston, Minneapolis, Anchorage and Atlanta. Restaurants and shops were completely closed and the lines at the open businesses were extremely long. We took a red-eye out of Anchorage through Atlanta last night and due to long lines were not able to get breakfast in between flights. Thankfully we had Ritz Bits in our airplane survival bag LOL!

Also be prepared for slow service in many businesses. Those that are open are picking up the slack for the others causing some "slow going". However, every worker we interfaced with be it in a shop, attraction or restaurant was so happy to be back to work and have tourists coming in-they were absolutely wonderful.

The lack of RV traffic was very noticeable but as we were leaving yesterday it had started to pick up. There are virtually no out-of-state plates to be seen on any vehicle. The border closure and lack of tourism is having a huge negative impact, obviously to be expected.

Beware that many roads are not in good shape although some are being repaired right now. The Parks Highway and Chena Hot Springs Road are particularly bad in some areas. The Seward Highway along Turnagain Arm is under construction and is causing long backups. Patience in that area is an absolute necessity.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
3 REPLIES 3

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Thomas201, probably! I was looking at the RVs I saw to see if they had their RV.net name on them. Would have loved to have had a truck camper for some of the campgrounds on the Parks Highway and Chena Hot Springs Road!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
We probably passed each other on the roads. Glad we both supported the local economy.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the detailed, objective report.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad