cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip Laredo to Chapala

peterth
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed at Columbia on Sunday Oct. 28th we had to unhook the car and drive the coach and car seperatley through while they took pictures of the vehicles. Then the coach had to go through the xray and the car searched then we were able to get our paper work done. That was when the problems started as the lady looked at our papers said they were copies. The Saskatchewan Government no longer sends you card in the mail for your registration they email you a notice and you print off your vehicle registration and yes it does look like a copy. Then we had to go and see another person and after some phone calls okay-ed the papers. So the crossing ended up taking 2 1/2 hours. We then overnighted at the San Pedro truck stop. The roads were the same as before some good some not so good then an hour from Chapala the coach engine was heating up and luckly there was a place to pull off of 80D and discovered the fan belt gone. I had a a spare one and while waiting for the engine to cool off it got dark so that is where we stayed the night and replaced the belt in the morning. We were surprised that 2 times the Federal Police went by and did not stop to ask what the problem was. We are now at our place in San Antonio Tlayacapan. Glad to be back.
6 REPLIES 6

peterth
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry Jerber I misinterpreted your response of police stopping us. Yes it was quite unusual that the police did not stop to check on us as we were at the side of the road with problems usually when we stopped to check the map they would stop and ask if we needed help. Rather unusual.

peterth
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Jerry look forward to seeing you again hope you make it down here. No the police did not stop us at all, as I don't drive fast anyway but I do hate the the inconsistency of the speed signs and 57 is rough as compared to going thru Zacatacas and Agucscalientes which has a consistent speed limit and a smoother road albeit a very lonely road and 4 lane divided and free from Satillo to Zacatacas and no place to overnight in between that I have seen and very little in the way of Pemex only 1 that I remember. That is why I opted for hwy 57 as we had gotten a late start from the border and did not think we could make Zacatacas before sun down Hwy 57 does have more options for overnighting.

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
Happy to hear you guys made it ok. Surprised the police did not stop and check on you two. They normally are pretty good that way. Sounds like you guys had fun at Columbia...:(
2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.
2006 GMC 3500HD DRW Ex. Cab Truck, Duramax/Allison

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info and please keep me in the loop, even via Private Message if need. Sending PM.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

peterth
Explorer
Explorer
There are no rv parks in this area but there are places like where we are on lots that are set up to park in. Our lot has 3 other units and are rented year round. A fellow that was asking info on how to set up a rv parking last year came by to tell us he had 5 spaces to rent but haven't had time to go see it yet. Also talk of a rv park opening in Chapala some time next year so will be scouting this out as well.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the trip report. I too carry an old belt in case something happens. Did not know there was a RV Park at your winter location. Enjoy the winter.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA