cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tucson to Olympia, WA

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be going to Olympia from Tucson the end of March. I would like to stay out of California because of its high fuel prices and slow speed limit towing. A little sightseeing is ok, but I'm mainly interested in getting home. Any suggestions?
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System
16 REPLIES 16

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Ive done them all, I 5, 395,and 93, and did 395 in March. I think I would check the weather the day before I left, and if it looked okay, I'd take Hwy 93 all the way to I 84 and then if Hwy 12 is open take over the Cascades 93 is really stress free driving.

samuraitowd
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re in Reno but have done both ways. Tucson to Reno via Wickenburg/Vegas is an easy, scenic drive. Only about 4 stop signs/lights in 750 miles. From Reno we took 80 to 5 then all the way up. Again, very easy. Overnighted at a truck stop in Oregon. It rained in Or and WA but we found out with the class A we were above the spray and it was easier than driving a car!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick n Andi

Rexhall American Clipper 29': 2005
Suzuki Samurai; 1994
Jeep Wrangler 2005

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Living near Olympia we have done them all, twice, thrice and sometimes to often to count If I had to chose I would pick Hwy93 thru Nevada until you get to I84. Take it to Pendleton and cross the Columbia on I 82 to Yakima and then Hwy 12 to I 5 and up to Olympia. Its not the most scenic but its the fastest most scenic and keeps you out of most metro areas.

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I too, need a good way to get through California going to Florence, Oregon from Tucson. Not thrilled going through Vegas to Reno and up but what are the alternatives? Don't even want to think about going through LA with a 5th wheel. Has anyone tried I-40 towards Bakersfield then hitting I-5?
Thanks,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I like 65-68 in my Sprinter. Economic, and gets me there.

But in Idaho and Utah I'm passed by the hundreds, many towing giant 5-ers at well over 80. Insane.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did that trip once... Headed up to Las Vegas, and then north on US-93 (sidestepping onto NV-318) and then I-84 the rest of the way. Some beautiful remote scenery, and not very taxing towing a large minivan.

Came back via I-5 to Eugene, sidestepped over to US-97, CA-139 US-395, US-95. Much more remote, and again some beautiful scenery.

Didn't set any land speed records on either route -- we keep it at 62Mph...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Some times what's legal isn't safe.
Some time what's safe isn't legal.

Just because the sign says, 80 doesn't mean you must.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Telling someone they can tow at 80 when most ST tires are rated at 65MPH, shame on you.
So sue me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Telling someone they can tow at 80 when most ST tires are rated at 65MPH, shame on you.
I guess I missed the post on what tires he has.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
To Las Vegas, to the I-15. You can tow 80mph in UT.

Your nuts towing @ 80. 750K in an 80,000lb truck that could run 80+ but never did. I'm out 3/4 time, pull 13K 5W w/truck tires, behind a F350. Telling someone they can tow at 80 when most ST tires are rated at 65MPH, shame on you.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions.

To answer azdrheat's question; unfortunately I have to go through CA going to Tucson. A very close friend's husband was diagnosed with brain cancer. I'll be making what will probably be the last visit to see them in Sacramento. Then I'll be going on to Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Tucson.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the weather. Odds are against snow, but not by a lot.

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Make almost this same trip twice a year. Tucson to Phoenix, west on I-10 to Quartzite, north on 95 to Las Vegas. Continue north on 95 to Reno, then Hwy 395 towards Susanville. CA. You are in California for a very short period of time and distance and no traffic to speak of. Head north again just prior to Susanville and head towards Oregon on Hwy. 139. North from Klamath Falls, OR to central Washington or cut over to I-5 on Hwy. 58, or alternatives Hwy. 26, Hwy. 84 etc. All good roads and little or not traffic compared to the interstates, I-5 or I-15. These are not a turn by turn directions, but if you look at a map or mapping application you will get the idea.

Hope this helps.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I-10 to Phoenix, then 93/60 to Henderson Nv. then I-15 north to Salt Lake, then 84 north/west to I-5 north to OLY
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.