cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

two names on ownership

slowlyiturn
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had experience with a vehicle that has both spouses named on the ownership. it will be our tenth crossing into mexico, but with a different vehicle this time. we will both be there, but i'm wondering about the differences with single ownership.
2 retired canadians
9 REPLIES 9

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Travelling to Mexico or South America it is good to have both names on the RV, toad, trailers and tow vehicles if anything happens to one spouse the other spouse can either move or drive the units, and return them to the border, Mexican law enforcement and government types are rather sticky with who's name is in a document as well as some of the South American countries, they love to complicate your life but that is the way they work, one needs to adapt to the idiosyncrasies of the country.

It is a good practice to have all documents copied and carry them in a small safe in the RV, marriage license, drivers license, passports and specially the visas and vehicle permits, ETC.

We have a small safe that resides under the bathroom sink where the water pump and the accumulator hang out, on a shelf that I constructed for it off the floor no water damage should there be a leak, in order to access it you need to remove a panel, no one is going to look in there should they want to rob, we do not carry anything worth stealing, wife uses very little jewelry and it is easily replaced not expensive, $200.00 Dollars and she will get more than what could have been taken, the good stuff stays in the home safe while we travel.

navegator

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Never, ever title a vehicle in both names. If the driver of said vehicle were to cause an accident and be party to a lawsuit; the most that can be recovered is 50% of the value of the estate if the vehicle is titled in only 1 name. If titled in both names, then 100% of the estate can be recovered.
Nothing to do with border crossing but still the best advise an attorney ever gave me.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
For several years we always have carried our marriage license with us. Not that we ever had a problem with having two names on the registrations (also the title in our jurisdiction) but while south of Sonoyta a decade ago, importing vehicles with three traveling couples, on friend, with adequet funds, but not enough in pesos, and faced with the Master Card reader on the blink, his wife stepped up to use her Visa Card, and they refused her, unless they could produce a marriage certifcate! Without it, they had to drive back to the border, over 50 Km.return. I had both cards and we were through. The two couples we were traveling with, were also sent back to the border then, as they had not gotten copies printed there, of course not knowing that the "outpost" had run out of ink for their printer. There had been no bank operating there then.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
We go to MX a couple times a year with both names on the title of the truck and the RV. No ones ever asked a word about it.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Talleyho69
Our vehicles are in both names with OR in between. We have never had any issues of any kind.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Both my vehicles are in both names and who ever "imports" the vehicle EG. I registered the RV and wife registered the toad, then we go back to the USA for a couple of months and I register the Toad, that way we comply with the 180 day permit once a year, the RV has a 10 year so it is OK. you should have no problem.

navegator

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Does it say "OR" or "AND"? It may or may not make a difference.

Bill

My experience with having wife/husband on title/registration has never been a problem for me.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
slowlyiturn wrote:
Has anyone had experience with a vehicle that has both spouses named on the ownership. it will be our tenth crossing into mexico, but with a different vehicle this time. we will both be there, but i'm wondering about the differences with single ownership.

Call the Vagabundos RV Club in Rio Vista for the information.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does it say "OR" or "AND"? It may or may not make a difference.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.