cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

U.S. 212 from Crow Agency to Spearfish S.D.

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip East. My mapping program recommends taking U.S. 212 from Crow Agency, MT. to Spearfish S.D. rather than I-90. Going that way seems to save considerable mileage. anyone driven this route? If so, what is the road condition? Thanks
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

11 REPLIES 11

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO 212 is the only way to go. I found it really interesting, especially compared to the boring interstate.

I had a great chat with a Native American flagger at a stop for road construction. Super sense of humor.

Topped off by a B52 on a low level training run near the Powder River area. Cool!!

newk
Explorer
Explorer
I'll agree with most; it's a good road and will save you some time. I-90 is a little more scenic, a bit safer, and has more services should you want or need them. You won't experience traffic congestion on either!

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've driven it and desolate, yes, but interesting. I have driven across this nation and I have yet to find a section of the country that I don't find interesting in some way.

When driving through the Tribal lands I look at the incredible poverty and starkness of the land. Saying that drive it, it's good road and something you may not witness in the future.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
US 212 is a good road, will save you lots of time, and you will get to see antelope and/or deer also. Watch your speed through tribal lands, no 75 mph stuff or you'll be in trouble. The drive is relaxing and stop in Broadus for a bite to eat if you wish.

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We've driven it many times, no problems, good road conditions.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 cents is no, don't go that way. As others said it's a good 2 lane road. However, there is nothing, repeat nothing out there. We traveled it once and that was enough, no scenery, no cel service. It's got a lot of small ups & downs. We like to travel the 2 lanes across this country but that one is one we won't go on again. Your wife won't like it either.

kregli
Explorer
Explorer
If you take it at night, be especially watchful for deer this time of year...it is known as "deer ally" in some quarters. It is much more peaceful to drive than the freeway.
Keith
2015 Grand Design Momentum 388m
2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good two lane road. Have driven it many times. It goes through some pretty desolate country, it's not sightseeing heaven. Much of the trip you will not have cell coverage. Be aware the vast majority of the time you will be on the Crow Indian Reservation. You won't have any problems, but the people on that reservation will never win any hospitality awards.
And don't forget the first week in August is the Sturgis Motorcycle rally. It's the 75th anniversary and they are expecting huge crowds, possibly near 1 million. Unless it is something you want to be involved with, give the area a wide berth that week and the weeks on either side.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only reason your routing program recommends it is because it is shorter. It may also be faster, but that depends on the speed estimates. The router knows nothing, or next to nothing, about whether it is better.

Time wise it is only a hour difference (more or less). That's nothing to loose sleep over. I90 follows the Big Horn Mtns south (stays flat), passes a couple of towns, and has a town or two on the east bound leg. 212 is, overall, more remote.

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I have a wife who sometimes doesn't want to get off of the freeway, so I kinda have to be careful!
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
I'd follow its recommendation. I've driven it a couple of times and there are no issues that I found. Maybe a little minor road construction through Belle Fourche. Nice wide open spaces with little traffic.
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto