cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S Hwy 20 in Oregon

Air_Boss
Explorer
Explorer
U.S. Highway 20 east of Corvallis, OR from Sweet Home, OR to the junction with OR 126. I took this route several years ago pulling a 33’ 5th wheel. Because the road is very windy, it was an arduous drive and I vowed never to drive that again and instead travel on OR 22. Now, because of wildfires in OR other routes, OR 22 and 126 are closed except to local traffic. Does anyone know if over the years this segment of U.S. 20 has been improved?
12 REPLIES 12

Air_Boss
Explorer
Explorer
We left Newport this morning and took US 20, I-15 then 58 and 97 to Sisters. Nice trip. Thank you all for your input. Safe travels.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Update. Drove from Sisters to Sweethome to Salem this morning. No doubt it's windy in one long stretch. Nothing different than other times I've traveled on the road. The road surface is like the coast hwy. Undulating dips and bumps in the windy sections.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Air Boss wrote:
Thanks, everyone for you help. We'll take 58 and 97 around the mountain.

You won't be going around any mountain. You still have to cross the Cascade mountains. Willamette pass (58) is 5,128', Santiam pass (126) is 4,817'. I love highway 58 through Oakridge but it is the long way to get to Sisters.

Air_Boss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone for you help. We'll take 58 and 97 around the mountain.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm going home through Sweethome to Salem from Sisters. Towing a 31' TT. Been on that road in the last couple years and yes it's windy but I don't find it bothersome. Used to love riding my MC's up there though. 🙂

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Air Boss wrote:
From Newport to Sisters.

From Newport, take 20 to I-5
South on I-5 to Eugene and past to hwy 58

and 97 north towards Sister will be safer and within 20 minute of the time to go 20 east of Sweethome. Much smoother road too.

From Eugene to Bend is within 5 minutes if going 58 verse 126. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like hwy 20 is the way to go.
Perhaps if you plan about twice as much travel time as you expect, you will have a more relaxing trip? Maybe stop along the S. Santiam River for lunch and/or a hike. For this route, it is definitely the journey and not the destination that counts.

Air_Boss
Explorer
Explorer
From Newport to Sisters.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Air Boss wrote:
U.S. Highway 20 east of Corvallis, OR from Sweet Home, OR to the junction with OR 126. I took this route several years ago pulling a 33’ 5th wheel. Because the road is very windy, it was an arduous drive and I vowed never to drive that again and instead travel on OR 22. Now, because of wildfires in OR other routes, OR 22 and 126 are closed except to local traffic. Does anyone know if over the years this segment of U.S. 20 has been improved?

I travel to Bend area from Eugene on a regular basis for work and pleasure.
Where are you coming from and going to? KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
You could go into Portland and take 26. Winding roads or traffic - tossup.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
As has already been reported, it has not been improved.
I have not been over it since the fires, but since it is the only "reasonable" route between Central Oregon and the mid-Valley, I would suspect it is pretty busy right now. And signs just west of Bend warn of the closures. Depending on where you plan to go, maybe hwy 58 would work? Good luck and safe travels.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
it has not been improved a whole bunch last time i drove it in car, about three years ago