Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US 276 in NC closed near Blue Ridge Parkway

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Quoting from the WLOS ABC 13 traffic site,

"Updated: Monday, June 9 2014, 04:38 PM EDT U.S. 276 in Haywood County is closed to traffic traveling Cruso Road, from the intersection of Sharp Mountain Road to the Transylvania County line, near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Haywood County dispatchers tell News 13 a 125,000 pound crane went over an embankment at the top of the mountain, near the Parkway intersection. Crews on scene say the crane was traveling from South Carolina to Robbinsville, North Carolina. Dispatchers say it will take approximately five hours for another crane to get to that location to pull the wrecked crane out. The accident happened just before 1 p.m. Monday. The driver of the crane was transported to Mission Hospital. As a detour, drivers can take Hwy. 215 or Interstate 40."

That's a real curvy steep narrow stretch thru there. It's an old logging railroad bed, I think. I kind of have a feeling that someone looked at a flat map and said "That's the shortest route."

Of course, they could have a grand story if they sent a camera crew out there.... but that'd take having actual reporters at our self-proclaimed 'News Leader'. WLOS = We's LOSt.

Jim, "All's fair in love and eBay!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')
5 REPLIES 5

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
News tonight says that yes, he _was_ properly permitted by the NCDOT or DMV. Somebody at whichever was the issuing agency has their head way up somewhere.... needing a clear plastic belly-button implant! Sheesh!

It's taking _three_ cranes including one great big crawler to get it out. It happened right as you start down the mountain toward Cruso & Waynesville. That bridge that shows in the video is the BRP crossing. (Video should show up soon on the linked story.) Road closed 'til Wed PM at least.

http://www.wlos.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wlos_tricky-crane-recovery-16560.shtml

Jim, "Beer: It's not just a breakfast drink anymore!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Think you may be right about trying to avoid the weigh station. Probably should of had special permits plus was over loaded. 60-tons is a lot for even a triple axle trailer.

The gorge isn't that bad and he was going to have to do it regardless of how he got across the mountains.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Another update and some pix: http://www.kplctv.com/story/25731871/crane-accident-closes-hwy-276-in-haywood-co

This implies that it was being carried on a semi, and the rear wheels of the trailer went over the bank.

Jim, "Yes, I own a pick-up. No, I won't help you move."

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
It's still there this morning, with one lane closed while it's being pulled up the the bank. I expect they'll have to close the road completely again as it gets near the top. It's between the BRP and Cruso.

There's no really easy route to Robbinsville, but yes, I-26 to I-40 to Waynesville and Bryson City is all 4-lane, just leaving the same twisty run up Nantahala Gorge, maybe 20 miles of curvy 2-lane.

I can think of a 1/2 dozen things that could have gone wrong to put it off the side of the mountain, but no idea of which it was. Dunno if they have to get a permit to move those things or not.

Methinks maybe someone was trying to avoid the weigh station on I-26.... ya reckon?

On edit, here's a link to the story, with a photo and a comment from a woman who saw the crane before the accident: http://wlos.com/news/features/traffic/stories/crane-accident-closes-road-193.shtml Pretty obviously a 4-axle road crane, and well-rolled.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder how it happened and exactly where. I would think one of the switchbacks making it tip over, but sounds like it may have just driven over the edge. Wonder if the transmission gave out and it rolled down and over before the driver could get it to stop.

Know even with just my TC on board, I'm in 3rd most of the climb and in 2nd for some of the switchbacks.

Don't know why anyone with a large crane would even attempt to take that route. I-40 route isn't that much farther and would be just as quick.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)