cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vancouver, B.C. back to Folsom, CA avoiding smoke

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Vancouver, B.C. right now watching the horrible NorCal fires. The smoke where our home is, is hazardous right now. It's basically raining ash. My kids and I have asthma and we have been advised to stay away for now. Unfortunately the kids need to be back to school in 2 weeks.

Normally we'd just take I-5 all the way home. But with the hazardous smoke from all the fires, it's like running a smoke gauntlet.

So I'm thinking of taking a more easterly route. We'd basically stay a couple nights in Portland. Then we head southeast on 26 and 97 to Bend, OR.

From there we head south on 37 and 395 to Alturas, CA and end up in Reno, NV.

From Reno it's an easy shot over I-80 back home.

How's the drive on these roads. It couldn't be any tougher than going through the Northern Cascades of WA eh?

Click to see the route
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh
5 REPLIES 5

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
The smoke in Reno last week was so bad I couldn't see the Sierras until I got into Verdi. I have asthma, and really wished I had thought to bring a particulate mask.

There are no guarantees you won't have smoke.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
EPA air quality map for Oregon

According to this, Ashland, Medford and Klamath Falls are all Unhealthy. Lakeview is better.

In California, Chico and Red Bluff are also Unhealthy. But there is some smoke to the east along the northern Nevada border.

https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.print_summary&stateid=5

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
From just south of LaPine, about 40 miles south of Bend take 31 SE to Lakeview. Of you have never been this way its a good alternative. FT Rock is worth the 10 mile RT detour. 15 miles south of Lakeview is Goose Lake State park. Beautiful over night stop. From here its only 30 or so miles to Alturus.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from central Colorado. There was smoke just about everywhere.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
No issues for your planned route but also no guarantee that you'll have no smoke but it shouldn't be as bad as I-5. Depends on the winds.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel