cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle insurance

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
This come up all the time, but lets hear latest opinions.

I have used Lewis & Lewis for several years and have had one minor claim which was dealt with. I have been seeing some negative stuff on Facebook and a customer on our caravan last year got clobbered and it has only just been settled after a lot of hassle.

I am considering using Sanborns which tends to be pricier, anyone have experience with them?

I realize they are all agents for companies, but what is your experiences positve and negative with any company?
23 REPLIES 23

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
yeah but they can still sue you

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Mex. Forget liability . Hundreds of thousands do not even have insurance! Not a DL or registration.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot imagine more than a single digit percentage of nacional drivers have liability coverage except in the state of Jalisco where recently liability coverage was made mandatory for citizens.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I have found out from leading caravans that it is best if it is not the other guys fault. Then you are dealing with his insurance and they try to lowball you

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
We used Lewis and Lewis for six years, the first time the year after we had a claim and found out the deductible on that one was $1,000 but L & L had $500.
However, we never had a claim with Lewis and Lewis.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
We have used Lewis and Lewis for more than 25 years. Jin wrote the Qualitas policy that he sells. It has higher liability limits and most important they pay for repairs according to US rates. You can chose to have the repair done in the US!! We have 4 annual policies with Jim.

Moisheh

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad you started this Tequila! I have used Lewis and Lewis the past 3 years and luckily no claims. But always nice to hear from someone who has first hand experience with them.
JerBear
2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.
2006 GMC 3500HD DRW Ex. Cab Truck, Duramax/Allison

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Qualitas.

I keep in mind that liability serious injury claims are the deciding factor. If the other party has someone seriously injured the cops take you to jail. Most of the time they'll not lock you in a cell but allow telephone calls to get things arranged.

Mexican jails are not fun to be around. People yelling at other people -- staccato Spanish, and the hands on the wall clock take an hour to move ten minutes.

Lewis has a priority telephone line to Qualitas in Tijuana and they in turn have a lot of sway with their main headquarters. I have seen this up front and personal. They get an adjuster to the police department in a rush, with a checkbook. There are always three Mexican agencies involved in a serious accident. A second adjuster and an abogado (attorney) who specializes in liability accidents deals with the family or the injured other party. If the family or injured rejects the settlement the whole process comes to a halt while the Ministerio Publico adjudicates the settlement. Your lawyer works with the ministerio publico (who does not want to wait for his payment) and together they can persuade the injured not to dilly-dally or risk losing a sizeable percentage of the settlement.

You want this to happen in hours, not days. Get the bono posted and get out of Dodge.

I do not know of Sanborn's reputation except they have been around a long time. And they must be good because there would be flak if they weren't.

I know of no Insurance company in the states that has no complaints against settlements.

I know my ins and outs down here but tangling with the ministerio publico is something I avoid like the plague. Their procedures and process are an unfathomable gordian knot.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
You might remember that we got good results on our Lewis and Lewis claim once Jim Lewis got involved. Noting of course that Lewis and Lewis is only the broker. I forget which insurance company it was. Jim Lewis was a great help.