cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Verizon in Alaska?

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently on my way through BC on my way to Alaska. I have no cellular at all, nor can I use my Jetpack. Only if I am in an RV park that has Wifi am I able to communicate. Does anyone know if Verizon works in Alaska?
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8
26 REPLIES 26

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Have now been in 7 Alaskan cities and ports this spring, and have had Verizon data & phone service in every section we have been in. This is an improvement from the last trip, just a couple years ago.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T get 4GLTE across most of the state, in the same areas verizon gets a standard 3G, 4G in some. Verizon is finally here, but using everyone else's towers and network....and they've been slow to expand good service. It'll work fine, just not as good as AT&T.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Mockturtle, Verizon has some really cheap phone plans and not all require contracts. Maybe get one for the time you're up there, if you feel you need/want a cell phone, then discontinue when back.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
I guess my Straight Talk service won't let me use the Verizon signals in AK without my contract being 'terminated'. But since I'm not likely to be going to Alaska again soon, I'll just leave things as they are. Wifi when I can get it and use a pay phone if I must. After all, people didn't used to have cell phones, did they?
I haven't seen a pay phone in many years? Might want to contact Straight Talk before using up there.;)

I did contact them. That's how I found out I could not use the Verizon signals in Alaska. The contract only includes the contiguous United States. Yes, there are pay phones around. Haven't used one in probably thirty years or more.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
I guess my Straight Talk service won't let me use the Verizon signals in AK without my contract being 'terminated'. But since I'm not likely to be going to Alaska again soon, I'll just leave things as they are. Wifi when I can get it and use a pay phone if I must. After all, people didn't used to have cell phones, did they?
I haven't seen a pay phone in many years? Might want to contact Straight Talk before using up there.;)

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to whoever mentioned getting the Verizon Canada plan. Just signed up. $30 for 250 minutes and 250 text, incoming text free. I don't use my phone much, but at the normal rate of $1/minute while in Canada, this is much better.

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
Once we arrived in Tok, AK, our Verizon cell phones worked just like back home. NEVER attempted to use them in Canada, used our OnStar phone on the truck to communicate if required. What we found in British Columbia and especially in the Yukon, cell service was usually available only close and in various towns, not between them at all.
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed

fishhogg
Explorer
Explorer
Is their life without a cell phone? I often wonder how I made it my first 50 without one??

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
Our Verizon texted just fine in Alaska but voice was funky there. We would "dial" the number and hit "Send." It would come back and say there was a problem so dial the number again but do NOT hit Send. The call would then go through. Strange.
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We leave Sunday for Alaska and I just got off the chat with a Verizon rep. 100/100 for $15 and 250/250 for $30 month.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information on 3G phones. I keep my phone and hope for the best. I do plan on adding Canada for our trip. I guess worse case is I have to get a 4G phone once in Alaska.
Bobbie ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

Fer2005
Explorer
Explorer
My kids and I have 4G and my wife had 3G when we were up last year. I added the Canada plan, then it was 1000 mins. and unlimited text. Also had 100 MB of data for $25. We had coverage where everybody else had coverage. Didn't use the data much unless we really needed it but it was available.

We had coverage in AK in most places.

Once away from the cities service is spotty at best, both in Canada and AK.
2009 Winnebago Journey 39Z
2012 Ford Taurus Toad

pchartrand
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just got back from Alaska Last week. I have an iPhone 5s and it worked in Anchorage, and all the way north up route 1 and Route 3 to McKinley Park. It also worked well in Juneau, and Ketchikan. It was spotty in Skagway. I agree with some of the other posters to call Verizon and add Canada to your contract for the month. I did not do that, but wish I had.
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Duramax)