cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIP question

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I hope to two a motorcycle behind an SUV into Mexico in 2024. That's 2 vehicles and one trailer. If the SUV tow vehicle is in both my name and my wife's and the motorcycle is in my name only can I get permits for all 3?
If the SUV and trailer go under the wife's name can I still drive the SUV in Mexico?
Is there a definitive government source for a question like this that has English speaking staff?
9 REPLIES 9

Talleyho69
We had our RV insured through Progressive. They gave us all of our US coverage in Mexico except for liability. We had to use it once, and it was absolutely painless. They reimbursed for the window replacement we had done in Mexico, then covered all the interior and exterior damage and replacing the window again with double pane glass.

Something to look into.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with Mexican insurance is that we all buy it but rarely ever have a claim to determine how good it is.

Problem??? That is a good thing.:)

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I'm also looking for a new insurance agent. We used Lewis and Lewis for the last 10 years - while in Mexico earlier this year I had a sample of extremely poor customer service (no claim, just needed some information) and was told just "not to have accidents on weekends". Mexpro was mentioned elsewhere as having good customer service.
The problem with Mexican insurance is that we all buy it but rarely ever have a claim to determine how good it is.

Talleyho69
Sounds like a great plan!!! You should have no problems at all getting the permits, insurance and be legal for both of you to drive everything.

Keep us posted when you go!

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the motorcycle needs a TIP - I have entered and toured Mexico on the 1,000 CC motorcycle without any issues having gotten the TIP for the motorcycle. With advancing age and decreasing vigor we'd like to use the bike for day trips rather than the sole means of travel. The only difference this time is the SUV and the trailer with the motorcycle on it with just two US adults between the 3.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a while but I believe you are only required to have a TIP for the bike if it is greater than 250cc. Something you will want to check out further. Still required to have the Mexican Liability. Copies of everything!
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! It's a gamble; one can never tell what will happen when we arrive. I might get an online TIP for the SUV and the trailer and get the motorcycle TIP in person.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
You can do this. The car and trailer get a TIP in your wife name, you get a TIP in your name. Both of you can drive either vehicle.

There is no definitive government source for this info in English.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Works! But, you both have to be on your Mexico Insurance for liability coverage.
rocmoc n The Great SouthWest
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA