Explorer
Explorer
Is this route ok for 40' RV and tow?
Summer travel NOT winter.
14 REPLIES 14

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
I stand by what I posted on this topic on January 26, 2017. Even with my truckโ€™s comprehension brakes engaged I wouldnโ€™t want to tow this his route between Asotin,WA & Joseph, OR. To each his own.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

blarsony
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome and thanks! Knew I was hitting an old post but figured someone with experience might see it! Again, thanks for the replies.

We like to travel with only 1 rule, never take the same road twice... have a great day.

Steve1950
Explorer
Explorer
Do this route, itโ€™ll be fine. I drove this route with pickup and 22 foot trailer. Itโ€™s only 90 miles and takes 2 hours. I donโ€™t remember any problems. Other routes add hours.
00 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4
13 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite Ultra Edition 207-S

dedmiston
You know you bumped a six year old thread?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

blarsony
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone traveled this road lately in a PU Camper or small trailer? we have a 2019 Ram 3500 DRW with a Arctic Fox 1150 Truck Camper and flat tow a Jeep Wrangler. Always looking for a road I have never been on before, and would love to take this one. Any insight would be great.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Wallowa SP, I'd first drive to some of the Hells Canyon overlooks. For example Hat Point (gravel from Imnaha).

4260 along the Imnaha river takes you all the way to the river at Dug Bar, thought that is rougher.

Also consider FS39 to Halfway.

OR3 north is a good stretch of flat straight highway before dropping down to the Grande Ronde river. On the map, Raymond Grade down to Troy looks interesting (in a jeep).

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
There's an epidemic of being stupid going around! I'm not going to add to it!

I will do that road in my jeep as a day trip from Wallowa.
I'll get to Wallowa via I84 and 82.
Thanks for everyone's info.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
I drove this route north back in November, returning my son's F350 back to his house. Had taken his trailer down to factory in La Grande for warranty repairs. His truck is a crew cab long box. First time for me on this road, and it wore me out!!! I don't get motion sickness, but even going 25-30 mph and much slower on the corners, I was getting dizzy, and light headed at times!!!

Our trailer and Excursion are 53+ ft overall. I would have to travel this road a whole lot to want to take it that way!! I'm sure that I would be taking both lanes on the tight 180's!! And, I'd have to make sure the wife's gag is tight so I could concentrate on the road!!!

That said, the road is in great shape, well maintained, and can be done by just aboot anyone or any veh combo if you desire. Unless I have to go that way, I'll look for another way to my destination!! Just know that (for the driver) it is a DRIVE not SIGHTSEE road!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the problem that you couldn't make those turns in a big RV, or just that you'd be too tired by the time you got to the river? Or maybe just that you'd be straddling the line too often on the turns?

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
It a great road on a motorcycle or sports car, but there is not a very good chance I will take the 42' fifth wheel here.

Here is a few pics.

It is beautiful, with massive views.

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
WA-129/OR-3 is steep and with many hairpin curves well before and after crossing the state line. I would never tow it. Extremely scenic though. An awesome day trip.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! You have confirmed what was my concerns.
We will get to Wallowa via a different route.

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
I have taken our small trailer via that route. Fields Spring State Park at the top of the Rattlesnake Grade just on the WA side is a nice stop or layover. The Rattlesnake Grade bear the state line is scenic and historical, but its steepness and sharp curves are true to the name. Here is a blog (not mine) that describes the route well:
http://destinations-northwest.blogspot.com/2012/04/rattlesnake-grade-road-to-remember.html?m=1

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Drove it years ago in a small truck. Not a road I would suggest if your in a hurry. Youtube has several clips from a motorcycles prospective you might want to watch before deciding.