cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you do about Atlanta?

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Headed from WI to FL next month and no reasonable way to miss Atlanta. Best I could do was schedule my drive-time so that I hit Atlanta at about 1p on a Wednesday.

No matter when I look at a map, however, there seem to always be accidents (often multiple) along I-75 between Marietta and McDonough - creating multiple delays. Are there any secrets to a successful trip through Atlanta, or do you just pray for the best, prepare for the worst, and ride it out?
27 REPLIES 27

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
BTW. What part of Wisconsin are you leaving from? It took me a few tries coming south before I found what IMHO is the most relaxing route down.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Headed from WI to FL next month and no reasonable way to miss Atlanta. Best I could do was schedule my drive-time so that I hit Atlanta at about 1p on a Wednesday.

No matter when I look at a map, however, there seem to always be accidents (often multiple) along I-75 between Marietta and McDonough - creating multiple delays. Are there any secrets to a successful trip through Atlanta, or do you just pray for the best, prepare for the worst, and ride it out?

When I come down from Wisconsin I stay at the KOA outside Atlanta, relax for the day and night and then get up at 3:00 a.m. and cruise peacefully thru Atlanta. Atlanta has some beautiful night light skyline.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
Prepare yourself for Georgia drivers.

Yep. If you signal a lane change they will speed up to pass so you don't get in front of them. Same in TN (I can say that, I live in TN and it is TRUTH.)
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Simply avoid.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
My first choice is to go around, though I seem to end up going through downtown more often than not. The lanes downtown are narrower than standard. If you end up there just stay in the middle and realize the people around you are more worried than you are. I would also advise checking the traffic on Google Maps before you get there.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Prepare yourself for Georgia drivers.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking MA
Cannot help you
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Stay on 75 but 3 lanes from the right. Many lanes end at exits. Hold your lane and drive a speed you are comfortable with. If too slow for others they have 99 other lanes to choose from.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
If you are taking 95 stay on 95 to just south of Savannah take US 84 to I75 at Valdosta
If 81 I would need to know where you are headed

Coming from WI, I am coming from the other side. Will be inbound on 75 (think Chattanooga) and headed to Disney. Assuming they made it through Irma without too much damage, I anticipate that my overnight will be in Lake Park that night.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
I always do the brute force attack and go straight through on 75. Just try not to during rush hour times. Has worked well...

X2 I have done this for years.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are taking 95 stay on 95 to just south of Savannah take US 84 to I75 at Valdosta
If 81 I would need to know where you are headed
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I simply go around it.
-jbh-

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I always do the brute force attack and go straight through on 75. Just try not to during rush hour times. Has worked well...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad