cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What more is there to say?

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
21 guns seized from folks coming into Canada since 2013 at one small unit. There are more than 100 manned border crossings. Makes for a lot of seized weapons. Makes me wonder...what does it take?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-235753-21-.htm#235753

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
9 REPLIES 9

Community Alumni
Not applicable
As expected this thread has already gone political so it is being closed.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
That "small" crossing handles around 300,000 passenger vehicles a year. So, over the 5 year period you mention, there were 1,500,000 passenger vehicles passing thru. That number doesn't include buses, trucks and other commercial vehicles.
Using the 216 weapons number given in the article, that means about 1 in 7000 vehicles had a weapon confiscated (assuming it was only one weapon in each confiscation, which is way too low). To look at it another way, five years is 260 weeks, so they confiscate less than 1 gun a week.

I guess what more there is to say is "there is no significant problem with illegal weapons being brought into Canada from the US."

Or perhaps "Canadian customs agents do an incredibly lousy job catching people bringing illegal weapons into Canada" is what needs be be said if your point is Americans are somehow all gun toting fanatics hellbent on bringing their weapons of death into that peaceful utopia known as Canada."

Your quoted text is probably the truth.
Lately we've had a lot of shootings in BC and Ontario, with the odd one here and there in the other 11 provinces and territories. And the Liberal (progressive) government is going to punish the law abiding firearms owner community for the transgressions of the perps, who are largely gang bangers. Usually drug related. Or terrorism that goes unidentified by the feds up here, because it messes up their Utopian narrative, as you point out. So, there's also a heightened sense of "intercept the gang guns at the border" before they become a problem.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Atta go Gary, another gun post going POOF 😄

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
So the lesson here is that if you plan to take a handgun into Canada for self protection, make sure it is one you can afford to lose.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Without meaning to start an argument...
I’ve come to mistrust much of what I read in the press when it comes to numbers and statistics.
One article I read today says if I eat all the foods that will give me a few extra years l could live to be 5000.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Makes me wonder...what does it take?"

Doing the math as westernrvparkowner did. LAPD would love a 1 to 7000 ratio of guns in cars.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
That "small" crossing handles around 300,000 passenger vehicles a year. So, over the 5 year period you mention, there were 1,500,000 passenger vehicles passing thru. That number doesn't include buses, trucks and other commercial vehicles.
Using the 216 weapons number given in the article, that means about 1 in 7000 vehicles had a weapon confiscated (assuming it was only one weapon in each confiscation, which is way too low). To look at it another way, five years is 260 weeks, so they confiscate less than 1 gun a week.

I guess what more there is to say is "there is no significant problem with illegal weapons being brought into Canada from the US."

Or perhaps "Canadian customs agents do an incredibly lousy job catching people bringing illegal weapons into Canada" is what needs be be said if your point is Americans are somehow all gun toting fanatics hellbent on bringing their weapons of death into that peaceful utopia known as Canada."

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny Cash said it best:

Don't take your guns to town son
Leave your guns at home Bill
Don't take your guns to town
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously they were out gunned when they tried to cross and had them taken away.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"