cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to go for RV fishing trip in AZ or New Mex in November

FishinPeace
Explorer
Explorer
Got any advice about some good places to fish without a boat in Arizona or New Mexico this month? I'm leaving SoCal this week, heading through Needles, CA, possibly stopping to stay/fish at Park Moabi on the Colorado for a couple days. I have 2 weeks in my fully self-contained RV with a tow car, Starlink internet and waders and a float tube to fish from if needed.

I originally was leaving in late Sept and was going to fish the streams/rivers I read about in Louis L'Amour books. But now it's colder so I'm thinking to stay in AZ/NM.

Thanks for any suggestions!
12 REPLIES 12

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
wapiticountry wrote:
narcodog wrote:
Look at the San Juan at Navajo Dam, NM

Awesome fishing!!! Just be aware there are rangers always watching for fisherman โ€œshufflingโ€. Itโ€™s illegal and they will fine you , kick you off the river and take pleasure doing it. Iโ€™ve watched it more than once. Bad weather beats good there since there are fewer fisherman out in the rain and snow.

I don't see a problem with that.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
sayoung wrote:
wapiticountry wrote:
narcodog wrote:

Awesome fishing!!! Just be aware there are rangers always watching for fisherman โ€œshufflingโ€. Itโ€™s illegal and they will fine you , kick you off the river and take pleasure doing it. Iโ€™ve watched it more than once. Bad weather beats good there since there are fewer fisherman out in the rain and snow.

What is " shuffling " ?

I had to ggl "shuffling" - new term for this lifetime fisher.

The act of "shuffling" is using your feet to kick up aquatic insects to trigger fish to feed, perhaps in a trout stream. I suppose it could be done on a large scale w a jet boat, too.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
narcodog wrote:

What is " shuffling " ?

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
See the NM Fish and Game Stocking and conditions site This time of year Cochiti COE lake north of ABQ is good, although there could be a light freeze at night. Elephant Butte and Caballo both have a lot of brush free shore line. Quemado off of US60 near AZ border has/had canoe rentals last time I was there. Several smallish lakes in the mountains are less than an hours drive from the warmer valleys close by.
Turret Class traveler

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
narcodog wrote:

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from Arizona a week ago. Check with Fish and Game to make sure they haven't stopped fishing in some areas due to the drought. Northern part of the state near the Canyon is fine but when you get closer to Phoenix the river beds are completely dry.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
wow 20years ago it was a very nice place.

Oh it's nice, but times have changed.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wow 20years ago it was a very nice place.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Patagonia Lake State Pk in AZ, lots of dirt bags from Tuscon use this as party central. If you go try to get a spot in the area away from the boat launch. In fact, it might be better to camp elsewhere.

FishinPeace
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Rob! That's what I was looking for. I appreciate it.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just about anywhere in northern New Mexico and many places in the Gila Wilderness have good stream (trout) and small lake (trout and bass) fishing... but November will be pretty chilly in those parts with subfreezing temps at night. You'll also need a non-resident fishing license:

License Type Resident* Nonresident
Annual Fishing $25.00 $56.00
One-day Fishing 12.00 12.00
Five-day Fishing 24.00 24.00

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015