cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winnipeg Canada to New Hampshire Late October

JerryNH
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at an RV tour in Manitoba that ends in Winnipeg Canada on Oct 17. Looking for info on getting home in that CG's usually close by mid October. First leg Winnipeg to Toronto area (1200 mi) with one CG open at the 600 mile mark in Wawa Ontario then to Toronto where I can plug in for the refig and stay in a stick house. Next leg to NH via the NY Thruway. Can I stay overnight in Thruway rest area? Also not sure on Canadian portion for overnite dry stops.

Any thought or ideas would be welcome.
2002 Monaco Beaver
2015 Ford Edge toad w/ Brake Buddy
Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar
6 REPLIES 6

JerryNH
Explorer
Explorer
MudChucker Thanks for the inquiry.
We did not go, I ended up with getting a knee replaced instead.
Hopefully can go in the futuer.
2002 Monaco Beaver

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I lost track of your thread. How did you make out on your trip? If
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

JerryNH
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would like to travel about 300 miles(482km)a day- approx 1200 miles (1900km) from Winnipeg to Toronto. Using Kings Hwy 17.

Drew, Eric thanks for NY CG info.

Jerry
2002 Monaco Beaver

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
I make that trip every few years...

Canadas overnight rules are loosley enforced at best. I find the quietest places to spend the night, are rignt next to the no overnight signs.

It can be hard to find places to dump at that time.

Blueberry hill camp ground n soux saint marie will be open

There is a great rest stop within in hour of Dryden ONT.

How many hours a day do you want to drive ? I can give spots to stop based on that.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

egregg57
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry, You can go to the New York State Department of Transportation Website and check the policies there. I have taken 90 east and west several times and there are actually a lot of places off the highway to overnight.

A lot quieter, and definately safer. An APP called RV Parky is a great tool to use while on the road. It identifies campgrounds and other things such as food and fuel on your route. Using that app, once you feel you should be getting off the road for a rest, open the app, select a campground down the road, use the in app feature to call the campground, make your reservation and stop. Pretty Handy.

Ohio and several other states have hook ups for overnighting at reststops. I wish more states would have them too. Along 90, east of Albany, there are few rest stops that have a lot of room and there are usually always 18 wheelers parked. You gould try it but its a bit of a gamble.

We are doing Canada in August this year. We will be coming from Niagra Falls Ontario KOA, back to NH. I intend on using Canadaigua KOA, or further on, Cooperstown KOA to break up the trip.

Hope that helps a bit.

Eric
AEC AW/SW E.J. Gregg USN Ret.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L Diesel
2015 Keystone Montana 3750FL Copper Patina
The Gregg Escape

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I think the thruway service areas technically have a four hour parking limit, though I'm not sure that it's super strictly enforced. You would of course be parking among a bunch of truckers coming and going and idling. I guess if you don't mind moving along in the middle of the night between less than peaceful naps it could be a possibility (and I've been known to do that sort of thing from time to time while traveling).

Schodack Island state park, a bit south of Albany, is open for camping through December and has electrical hookups. There may be a few other New York state park campgrounds open; that's just one I'm aware of (and have stayed at late in the camping season).