cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

140 PSI Water Pressure

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have plans to stay at the AF Academy Famcamp in Colorado Springs CO, be forewarned they have *very* high water pressure. At 140 PSI it's high enough to seriously damage some RV's. They advise the use of a water pressure regulator on their info brochure, but no verbal mention of it during check-in. We always use a fixed 50 PSI water pressure regulator, but for those who may not, just a heads-up.

We elected to not take any chances and just fill and use the water from our FW tank.
12 REPLIES 12

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geo*Boy wrote:
Go to rvwaterfilterstore.com and purchase a Watts made in the USA, lead free with stainless parts water pressure regulator, set it to 40 PSI and protect your RV and still have great flow.

Fill fresh water tank and use on board pump......

Simple...
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Matt_Colie wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
Who sets water pressure that high, never seen it. Did you gauge the pressure your self with a reliable gauge.

Edd,

Nobody "sets" a water pressure that high. It is a result of the local terrain as city water system. The storage tank is up a mountain somewhere because the land was cheap and it was a convenient place to locate it. The city has to pump the water up there to make it available.

Nobody with any sense is going to pay money to pump the water mains to that pressure. If it does get pumped to that pressure, someone should be replaced.

Matt

This.

We camped once in a campground on the side of a mountain in West Virginia. The camp well was on top of the mountain and our site was downhill about 500 feet vertically. I didnโ€™t have a gauge to measure it but I did have a pressure regulator so no worries. I did hook up a hose to the spigot and with no nozzle, shot a full-hose stream of water easily 50 feet. Thirty feet of drop translates to fifteen psi, do your own math. (Yes, there were surely camp regulators between levels in the campground, but obviously not enough of them.)

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:
Who sets water pressure that high, never seen it. Did you gauge the pressure your self with a reliable gauge.
Used a Watts water pressure gauge. The meter I'm using reads within 5% of a calibrated unit (used by our city water dept.).

I was shocked when I saw the 140 psi reading. I've visited a number of RV parks with water pressure around 70-80 psi (still high enough to damage some RV's), but never one with pressure this high.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to rvwaterfilterstore.com and purchase a Watts made in the USA, lead free with stainless parts water pressure regulator, set it to 40 PSI and protect your RV and still have great flow.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:

Edd,

Nobody "sets" a water pressure that high. It is a result of the local terrain as city water system. The storage tank is up a mountain somewhere because the land was cheap and it was a convenient place to locate it. The city has to pump the water up there to make it available.

Nobody with any sense is going to pay money to pump the water mains to that pressure. If it does get pumped to that pressure, someone should be replaced.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:

When we FTd we came across HIGH water pressure at SEVERAL CGs across the USA

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I ran into a problem with high water pressure ina park we had stayed at a couple of years ago. I have a good Watts water pressure regulator that I can set the pressure myself no problem. What I failed to consider was the connection to my black tank flush as I use a Sewer Solution and it caused a leak. I now have a inline water pressure reduced connected to that line also. Just something to think about.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The plumbing in my TT is officially rated for only 80 psi. It says so both in the owner's manual that came with it and on a sticker inside. So I always use a water pressure regulator set to 50 psi.

Once stayed at a campground where we were informed at check in that a water pressure regulator was required to hook up because the city insisted on supplying the campground at 150 psi.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only use CG water supply to fill my fresh water tank
Use fresh water tank/pump exclusively....consistent pressure/flow, no water pressure reg required and fip of switch pump is off at bedtime/when leaving RV

Simple........

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn't that part of the fun, learning the in's and out's of RVing? Blown piping, tripped breakers, old tires, cracked roofs, and all the other things we never thought would go wrong.....

Why is there not a HUGE placard inside the RV to warn us of all these pitfalls?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"We elected to not take any chances and just fill and use the water from our FW tank." That is the safest way...at all times...and if the CG water system goes down with a full tank you'll be fine for days.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad