Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1st RV Road Trip - Florida itinerary

brandicj
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

We have just purchased our first travel trailer. 2019 Kodiak Cub 19BHSL towed with 2012 Tacoma 4x4 with towing pkg.

She did beautifully on a nasty-weather shakedown trip close to home for 2 nights at a state park. We'll be camping at least once more, this time towing a few hours north to DeSoto State Park in AL and doing some testing on our ability to conserve tank capacity and batteries while we're there. Hopefully we'll have some more nice weekends before March to break her in further.

We've researched for a year and been buddying with my sister's family in their camper for longer than that. I grew up in a family with travel trailer and class C which we used extensively, so in that respect we are not complete newbies.

DH, myself, DD14 and DD11 would like to have our first road trip for spring break. I need help considering our route and timing, as we are pretty sure these are the places we want to stop. Looking for any input others can provide.

Fri., 3/20 - leave Birmingham, AL after school; overnight near Dothan, AL (170mi). - probably Blue Springs State Park. full hookups

Sat. 3/21 - drive to Juniper Springs (339mi). 2 nights in the NF campground. no hookups, dump station and hot showers. water available.

Sun. 3/22 - canoe Alexander Springs (20 min drive), see the springs at Juniper Springs area.

Mon. 3/23 - depart for Atlantic coast with stop on the way for an airboat tour (St. John's River? Cocoa area - Twister or Grasshopper were both recommended.) Or this is a good day to stop at Blue Spring State Park in Orange County possibly. stay 3 nights in campground near Titusville or Port Canaveral (115 mi). Manatee Hammock or Wickham Park (both full hookups) are now our top picks but Wickham will probably win out due to noise mentioned in reviews of MH.

Tues 3/24- explore Merritt Island, Cape Canaveral National Seashore, kayak or airboat?;

Wed. 3/25 - Kennedy Space Center

Thurs 3/26 - after lunch drive to Manatee Springs State Park (197 mi) Chiefland, FL;. overnight in state park (water/electric/dump station)

Fri 3/27 - morning explore Manatee Springs or canoe Suwanee River. afternoon drive to possibly to Three Rivers State Park. (182 mi) stay overnight in the state park (water, electric, dump station); Three Rivers is just a stopover to shorten the drive home.

(We considered spending Fri night at St. George's Island and move Three Rivers to Sat. night but DH would like to have Sunday free to rest.

Sat 3/28 - home to BHM! (245 mi)
2019 Dutchmen Kodiak Cub 19BHSL
2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with towing pkg
18 REPLIES 18

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
There's always Wal*Mart
Bill and Joey the dog

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Dial that way back. Seems like just a driving trip, guaranteed to leave everyone worn out and grouchy every day.

If you're going to KSC and Canaveral, you need to be at Manatee Hammock, not the backside of Melbourne an extra hour away.
-jbh-

brandicj
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Sounds good except for one thing: do you have reservations? For one thing this is the end of snowbird season and the parks are booked solid. And secondly it is also spring break for schools down here.

We're coming to the end of our planning. I have checked all within the last week and there was availability at each. Just need to get DH to sign off on the general outline so I can get something booked. Those non-refundable booking fees add up fast so I want to get close to our final itinerary. We have already crossed some popular locations off of our route because of availability. St. George may be full now. It was pretty limited when I looked.
2019 Dutchmen Kodiak Cub 19BHSL
2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with towing pkg

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds good except for one thing: do you have reservations? For one thing this is the end of snowbird season and the parks are booked solid. And secondly it is also spring break for schools down here.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper