Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1st RV Road Trip - Florida itinerary

brandicj
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

We have just purchased our first travel trailer. 2019 Kodiak Cub 19BHSL towed with 2012 Tacoma 4x4 with towing pkg.

She did beautifully on a nasty-weather shakedown trip close to home for 2 nights at a state park. We'll be camping at least once more, this time towing a few hours north to DeSoto State Park in AL and doing some testing on our ability to conserve tank capacity and batteries while we're there. Hopefully we'll have some more nice weekends before March to break her in further.

We've researched for a year and been buddying with my sister's family in their camper for longer than that. I grew up in a family with travel trailer and class C which we used extensively, so in that respect we are not complete newbies.

DH, myself, DD14 and DD11 would like to have our first road trip for spring break. I need help considering our route and timing, as we are pretty sure these are the places we want to stop. Looking for any input others can provide.

Fri., 3/20 - leave Birmingham, AL after school; overnight near Dothan, AL (170mi). - probably Blue Springs State Park. full hookups

Sat. 3/21 - drive to Juniper Springs (339mi). 2 nights in the NF campground. no hookups, dump station and hot showers. water available.

Sun. 3/22 - canoe Alexander Springs (20 min drive), see the springs at Juniper Springs area.

Mon. 3/23 - depart for Atlantic coast with stop on the way for an airboat tour (St. John's River? Cocoa area - Twister or Grasshopper were both recommended.) Or this is a good day to stop at Blue Spring State Park in Orange County possibly. stay 3 nights in campground near Titusville or Port Canaveral (115 mi). Manatee Hammock or Wickham Park (both full hookups) are now our top picks but Wickham will probably win out due to noise mentioned in reviews of MH.

Tues 3/24- explore Merritt Island, Cape Canaveral National Seashore, kayak or airboat?;

Wed. 3/25 - Kennedy Space Center

Thurs 3/26 - after lunch drive to Manatee Springs State Park (197 mi) Chiefland, FL;. overnight in state park (water/electric/dump station)

Fri 3/27 - morning explore Manatee Springs or canoe Suwanee River. afternoon drive to possibly to Three Rivers State Park. (182 mi) stay overnight in the state park (water, electric, dump station); Three Rivers is just a stopover to shorten the drive home.

(We considered spending Fri night at St. George's Island and move Three Rivers to Sat. night but DH would like to have Sunday free to rest.

Sat 3/28 - home to BHM! (245 mi)
2019 Dutchmen Kodiak Cub 19BHSL
2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with towing pkg
18 REPLIES 18

brandicj
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:

I also suggest Juniper.... I don't feel that it's that difficult. You put in at the springs and go down the run and they pick you up and bring you back. The flow makes for an easy paddle

Thanks. The accounts I read, and a bit of video show lots of maneuvering around downed trees, overhanging branches, and a tight/twisty creek. Just want to be sure we understand what we're getting into and how long to plan for.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
brandicj wrote:
johnhicks wrote:
Dial that way back. Seems like just a driving trip, guaranteed to leave everyone worn out and grouchy every day.

If you're going to KSC and Canaveral, you need to be at Manatee Hammock, not the backside of Melbourne an extra hour away.

Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of time. I will try to dial back to much activity, but with kids in school, driving is part of the territory. We only have 9 nights.
Thanks for suggesting Manatee Hammock. I think we can get in there.

Guy Roan wrote:
You say "see the springs at Juniper Springs", but you are going to paddle at Alexander Springs.
I strongly advise if you only have time to paddle one or the other; make sure it is Juniper Springs.
They both are beautiful spring runs, but Juniper is the best

Thanks for your perspective. Another forum has a user who warns people off of canoeing Juniper. He claims it's too hard to navigate and frustrating for novices. Do you think a teenager paired with a capable adult in each of 2 canoes can enjoy the run at Juniper? I don't want to do both. Alexander was an alternative that we'd skip otherwise.

I also suggest Juniper.... I don't feel that it's that difficult. You put in at the springs and go down the run and they pick you up and bring you back. The flow makes for an easy paddle
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

brandicj
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
To get to the east coast I strongly suggest you get over there well north of the Orlando area. Go CR-42/SR-44 from just south of Summerfield towards New Smyrna or, the farthest south, SR-46 east from Mt. Dora. Orlando traffic has become legendary.

We'll definitely take a full day. I have worked at Canaveral at a shuttle launch before, so we want to be sure to get the tour that includes those sites and show the kids. We'll probably do a tad less in the museum itself since they are space camp kids at Huntsville.

johnhicks wrote:
To get to the east coast I strongly suggest you get over there well north of the Orlando area. Go CR-42/SR-44 from just south of Summerfield towards New Smyrna or, the farthest south, SR-46 east from Mt. Dora. Orlando traffic has become legendary.

Travel in Orlando all the time, so we're familiar with the traffic. Thanks for the route suggestion. I was really wondering what we should do to get around the city.

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Cocoa/Canaveral problem solved! On a whim I checked Jetty Park again just now and we grabbed 3 nights there. We'll go with that!
Its been about 4 or 5 years, but I thoroughly enjoyed my stays at Jetty Park when I was in the area for some spring training baseball. Team moved, so you donโ€™t have that option, but not only are you on the ocean, but you abut the shipping channel that the large cruise ships go in & out of. Also, check the Kennedy Space Center website for its Rocket Launch Schedule, good viewing from the beach if youโ€™re there at the right time.
2013 RT 190-Popular

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
-jbh-

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Jetty Park is a good spot. You can just tootle up SR-3/Courtenay Parkway to KSC. I'd give it a full day; however, if you've been to the Huntsville facility it might be somewhat old hat.
-jbh-

brandicj
Explorer
Explorer
Cocoa/Canaveral problem solved! On a whim I checked Jetty Park again just now and we grabbed 3 nights there. We'll go with that!

brandicj
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
Dial that way back. Seems like just a driving trip, guaranteed to leave everyone worn out and grouchy every day.

If you're going to KSC and Canaveral, you need to be at Manatee Hammock, not the backside of Melbourne an extra hour away.

Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of time. I will try to dial back to much activity, but with kids in school, driving is part of the territory. We only have 9 nights.
Thanks for suggesting Manatee Hammock. I think we can get in there.

Guy Roan wrote:
You say "see the springs at Juniper Springs", but you are going to paddle at Alexander Springs.
I strongly advise if you only have time to paddle one or the other; make sure it is Juniper Springs.

Thanks for your perspective. Another forum has a user who warns people off of canoeing Juniper. He claims it's too hard to navigate and frustrating for novices. Do you think a teenager paired with a capable adult in each of 2 canoes can enjoy the run at Juniper? I don't want to do both. Alexander was an alternative that we'd skip otherwise.

Scottiemom wrote:
We've stayed at Manatee Hammock twice and never had any problem with noise. Oh yeah, let me think. This was right after Hurricane Irma (?) went through and they had a lot of devastation and closed areas of the park. They inherited a young rooster from the storm who was blown in by the hurricane. He obviously was confused about where he was. People fed him and he became very tame. Beautiful little guy and would come running when you called him. Yes he crowed and yes heartless people complained. So the next time we went he was gone. I don't know what happened to him but the office said too many people complained about him so they had to "relocate" him whatever that meant. Poor thing.

The noise I see consistently mentioned in reviews is from trains.

RobWNY wrote:
We are staying at Seasons in the Sun RV resort in Mims, FL. (6 miles north of Titusville). It's a Very nice and clean resort. We've driven through all of the RV parks in and around here including Manatee Hammock Campground in Titusville. None of them are very nice but most would suffice for an overnight stay. Manatee Hammock is not very nice, not clean but would probably be ok for an overnight. The bathrooms were a mess when we checked it out and the pool was filthy. Also, don't even consider the KOA on Rt. 46 next to Seasons in the Sun resort. There's a lot of homeless people hanging around and the police are there quite often for domestic issues.

AllStays reports that Seasons in the Sun is adults only. Is there an age restriction?
Online photos seem to support your estimation of Manatee Hammock. With full hookups we likely would not use much of the other amenities, but it doesn't look terribly appealing except for location.
I was warned away from the KOA from a user elsewhere. Thanks for your confirmation.

BarabooBob wrote:
We frequently do "road trips" for our vacations. Our daughters grew up doing them. three of them still do that type of trips and the other one does not camp at all. She hates being outdoors unless it is in a crowded water park.
I would take the trip and enjoy every mile.
My wife and I now take month long road trips and only stay in the same place in NP's.
Travel the way you want, not the way others think is the "only way" to travel.

I grew up like your kids. Road trips were often the way. But we enjoyed them all and my girls really love adventure, so off we go. We will do the slower paced trips in summer and when they are gone in a few short years. Appreciate the encouragement!

agesilaus wrote:

I assume you plan to run down Juniper run in a canoe/kayak. So far as I know this does not run to Alexander Springs. Both Juniper and Alexander are worth a visit.

Yes, I know that Juniper and Alexander aren't connected. We'd be choosing Alexander as the easier canoeing alternative if Juniper looks too much like an obstacle course.

Mon. 3/23 - Blue Spring State Park ...

Another good springs for swimming, Manatees will probably be gone by then depending on the weather.

If manatees aren't in the spring, we would most likely eliminate this in favor of a more relaxing day.

Fri 3/27 - ...

Manatee has trails but they are sandy and boring to us, you may like them more. The canoeing on the river is excellent tho

We were hoping to find manatees here if we do not see them around Merritt Island. Trails are enough if it's a long day. We'll be sure to include the canoeing if we have a few hours free there.

Three rivers is another boating park. We didn't explore the trails tho. Florida Caverns isn't too far and the cave tours are mildly interesting, not much compared to the Federal Caves but better than Russel Caverns.
I wonder if we chose to spend a more slow Sat. and move the driving to Sunday whether Three Rivers or Falling Waters would be preferable. The Florida Caverns park looks to be devastated by the hurricane and not too far into recovery. Maybe it would be worth it for the caves, if they are open. When we drove that stretch last summer, the landscape was very sad.

(We considered spending Fri night at St. George's Island and move Three Rivers to Sat. night but DH would like to have Sunday free to rest. I'm thinking we're not going to make it to St. George this trip.

agesilaus wrote:
Jetty Park in that area is a very nice county park right on the water. You might want to see if you can get in there.

Thanks. Right now they don't have an opening that will work for us.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jetty Park in that area is a very nice county park right on the water. You might want to see if you can get in there.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We frequently do "road trips" for our vacations. Our daughters grew up doing them. three of them still do that type of trips and the other one does not camp at all. She hates being outdoors unless it is in a crowded water park.
I would take the trip and enjoy every mile.
My wife and I now take month long road trips and only stay in the same place in NP's.
Travel the way you want, not the way others think is the "only way" to travel.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying at Seasons in the Sun RV resort in Mims, FL. (6 miles north of Titusville). It's a Very nice and clean resort. We've driven through all of the RV parks in and around here including Manatee Hammock Campground in Titusville. None of them are very nice but most would suffice for an overnight stay. Manatee Hammock is not very nice, not clean but would probably be ok for an overnight. The bathrooms were a mess when we checked it out and the pool was filthy. Also, don't even consider the KOA on Rt. 46 next to Seasons in the Sun resort. There's a lot of homeless people hanging around and the police are there quite often for domestic issues.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We've stayed at Manatee Hammock twice and never had any problem with noise. Oh yeah, let me think. This was right after Hurricane Irma (?) went through and they had a lot of devastation and closed areas of the park. They inherited a young rooster from the storm who was blown in by the hurricane. He obviously was confused about where he was. People fed him and he became very tame. Beautiful little guy and would come running when you called him. Yes he crowed and yes heartless people complained. So the next time we went he was gone. I don't know what happened to him but the office said too many people complained about him so they had to "relocate" him whatever that meant. Poor thing.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer

Guy

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
brandicj wrote:
Hi,

Fri., 3/20 - leave Birmingham, AL after school; overnight near Dothan, AL (170mi). - probably Blue Springs State Park. full hookups

Sat. 3/21 - drive to Juniper Springs (339mi). 2 nights in the NF campground. no hookups, dump station and hot showers. water available.

Sun. 3/22 - canoe Alexander Springs (20 min drive), see the springs at Juniper Springs area.

I assume you plan to run down Juniper run in a canoe/kayak. So far as I know this does not run to Alexander Springs. Both Juniper and Alexander are worth a visit.

Mon. 3/23 - Or this is a good day to stop at Blue Spring State Park in Orange County possibly.

Another good springs for swimming, Manatees will probably be gone by then depending on the weather.

Tues 3/24- explore Merritt Island, Cape Canaveral National Seashore, kayak or airboat?;

Wed. 3/25 - Kennedy Space Center

Thurs 3/26 - after lunch drive to Manatee Springs State Park (197 mi) Chiefland, FL;. overnight in state park (water/electric/dump station)

Fri 3/27 - morning explore Manatee Springs or canoe Suwanee River. afternoon

Manatee has trails but they are sandy and boring to us, you may like them more. The canoeing on the river is excellent tho

drive to possibly to Three Rivers State Park. (182 mi) stay overnight in the state park (water, electric, dump station); Three Rivers is just a stopover to shorten the drive home.

Three rivers is another boating park. We didn't explore the trails tho. Florida Caverns isn't too far and the cave tours are mildly interesting, not much compared to the Federal Caves but better than Russel Caverns.

(We considered spending Fri night at St. George's Island and move Three Rivers to Sat. night but DH would like to have Sunday free to rest.

Sat 3/28 - home to BHM! (245 mi)
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper